A former hunting lodge, completed in 1543 for Henry VIII and repaired in 1589. The building was converted to a dwelling in 1666. Owned by the Corporation of London since 1878 and used as a museum. The building is of three storeys and has a timber frame with plaster infill under a pitched tiled roof. Restored circa 1900 and circa 1990. (PastScape)
Queen Elizabeth’s Hunting Lodge, originally known as the Great Standing, was built for Henry VIII in 1543. It was constructed as a grandstand or platform that allowed guests both to view the hunt from a high vantage point, participate by shooting their crossbows from the upper floors and a venue for royal Tudor ‘corporate hospitality’ to show off the wealth and power of the king. (Liza Gazeley, 2010, City of London website)
Descheduled as Ancient Monument in 1999. This does not seem to have been a residential building but purely a viewing platform so presumably used when court was in residence elsewhere ?Waltham Abbey or a London Palace. This is probably the nearest hunting forest to London and Westminster.