Castlefacts

England - East Anglia and Lincolnshire - Suffolk - Hoxne manor of the bishop of Norwich

Powered By Subgurim(http://googlemaps.subgurim.net).Google Maps ASP.NET

Residential manor of the Bishop of Norwich. Possibly included in the licence to crenellate possibly issued to the bishop in 1327 although as this was for all his houses may not have resulted in any building work. A moated site surrounding the vicarage of St Peter and St Paul's church at the northern end of the village of Hoxne. It has been suggested that this was originally the site of the palace of the Bishops of Norwich in Hoxne, although by C14 the palace was located within New Park, on the opposite side of the road which runs past the western side of the moat. The moat ranges from about 7.5m to 12m in width and contains water. The moat borders the north and west sides of a rectangular platform measuring circa 88m north-south by 55m. (PastScape)