C16 farmhouse with extensive C18-C19 alterations, on the site of Chevington Hall, a retiring place for the abbot of St Edmund's monastery mentioned in 1309. No trace of the original building can now be seen although large quantities of dressed and undressed stone have been found in the area. A park and hunting lodge is also recorded, together with a mill. The farm is enclosed by a strong sub rectangular moat measuring 280 by 200m with traces of internal and external banks in parts, cut into a slight southerly slope. Parts are now dry, although the east arm has been widened to form two fishponds, a causeway between the ponds probably marking the original entrance to the island. An elongated mound 2.5m lies outside the moat, but its purpose is obscure. (PastScape)
The Abbots had a deer park to the north of the moated site; the park is mentioned in 1492. (Suffolk HER ref. Gage)
In November 1328 Abbot Richard de Draughton was captured by the rioting townsmen of Bury St Edmunds at his manor of Chevington and abducted. (Suffolk HER ref. Arnold)
The events of 1328 makes the point that regardless of the strength of defences no moated house was ever likely to have a large enough garrison to resist a mob, let alone an army.