The castle originated as a motte and bailey allegedly in the late C11 built by Roger de Montgomery. It is possible that this itself replaced an earlier Saxon fortification or royal palace. A stone castle with a great hall and towers was built circa 1300 by Edward. The castle was altered and added to during Civil War. In 1780-90 Telford made further alterations and restoration work was also made by Sir Charles Nicholson in 1926.