Linear ditch and bank aligned SW to NE followed by former field boundary. Bank on NW side when surveyed in 1930s, now ploughed out and survives as cropmark only. Interpreted as Town defences. Associated with documentary references from C14 survey of Wigmore Lordship which mention two long ditches "below the castle" worth 12 pence per year, actual function uncertain. Also interpreted as defences of an outer bailey of the castle, with parallel ditch and bank. (Herefordshire SMR)
Two parallel linear banks (HWCM 19424 and HWCM 19425) northeast of the castle were recorded by the Ordnance Survey in 1886 and by RCHME (1934). These have been interpreted as a village enclosure (Renn 1973, 345-7; HWCM 7258), but their location on a steep hillside shows that this interpretation is unlikely; it is more likely that settlement was focused on the church, dated to the late 11th century. (Dalwood and Bryant)
Map reference for parish church.