To the N, an outwork, comprising a rampart, 14.0 m in width, 3.0 m in height, with a ditch on the NW side, 10.0 m in width, 1.5m deep, extends from the lip of the outer ditch in a NE direction for 50.0 m, but probably originally continued for a further 40.0 m to the head of a coombe running to the SE, and so sealing off from the ridge to the N, the plateau upon which the village stands. There is no evidence to show that this work enclosed the village. No remains now exist of the dovecote which, according to villagers, was cleared away after excavation. (Field Investigators Comments–F1 ASP 03-OCT-72) It can possibly be identified with a castle noted in 1051-2 (ASC), although current opinion seems to favour Ewyas Harold. The castle was taken in 1264 (King, 1983). An earthwork survey was carried out on the motte and bailey and the area of the failed borough in Jan 2000. The motte and bailey comprises a massive mound that is heavily scarred by excavation trenches, a small bailey to the east, and a ditch and counterscarp bank. Sections of the curtain wall on the northern side remain exposed; elsewhere there are small fragments of exposed walling, parts of which appear to have been excavated. Stonework tumble is also evident in the ditch in the north and west. Overall the mound is some 26.5m high on the west side with a base diameter of c 60m tapering to 8m at the top. A large amount of loose stonework and a linear excavation trench is evident on the eastern slope. Above this is an apsidal tower with parts of the walling exposed. Elsewhere around the upper part of the motte there are further exposed excavation trenches. A break in the slope at the base of these trenches probably marks the base of the keep. On the western side there are two sections of exposed bedrock. The bailey encloses an area of c 0.2ha and is surrounded on the north, east and south sides by an irregularly shaped rampart. An inner ditch, up to 10m wide and c 0.2m deep, is present at the base of the motte. Between the mound and the rampart is a linear scarp overlying the ditch. A building platform occupies the south-western side of the bailey; it is defined by a stone wall measuring 0.7m high and extends from the gatehouse in an L-shape and parallel to the rampart. The north-eastern part of the rampart measures 60m in length overall and extends from the top of the motte for 35m before dog-legging slightly for a further 25m. Throughout its course there are traces of stonework of the curtain wall and two sub-circular depressions that have been interpreted by the 1960s excavators as mural towers. The upper one, however, was later adapted as a dovecote in the 15th century. To the east of this tower is a length of surviving curtain wall measuring 17m long and 1m wide and c 3m high. Surrounding the motte and bailey is a ditch and counterscarp bank. Along the southern side the bottom of the ditch measures up to 10m below the bailey and 2.5m below the counterscarp bank. In the north it is up to 6.6m below the bailey ground level and 1.9m below the top of the counterscarp. Access to the bailey, through the stone gatehouse, was over a causeway, which measured 5m wide and 2.1m above the base of the ditch. To the south-west of the causeway, the external face of the ditch is vertical and appears to have been re-cut for c 7m, possibly to support a structure. (English Heritage Survey Report: Richard's Castle - Earthwork Survey 2000). (PastScape)
Removed from the Heritage at Risk Register in 2012.