The castle was, according to Camden, built not long before he saw it in 1607, and was demolished shortly after 1659. The site is now largely under the riverside road, foundations and courtyard pavement being revealed when this was widened in 1901 because of erosion which also contributed to the destruction of the castle remains. In 1901 there were also traces in the surface of the field to the west of the Hall (Graham 1910).
Earlier castle documented by Leland in 1539 (Jackson 1990).
Large tower, always called a castle, built between 1485-1522. Used in the Northern Rising, 1569-70 (King 1983). (PastScape)
Described by Leland as "a pretty Pile or Castle of the Lord Dakers" A tower house rather than a pele tower. Shown on Aglionby's "Platt" of 1590.