Large house, of several periods, incorporating a C14 tower. The west range consists of two C16 builds linked by an added staircase bay to the tower of late C17 appearance with C18 alterations. C19 additions include a washhouse to the east and a porch to the north side. The west range is of coursed rubble with quoins. The tower is of large sandstone blocks with quoins and a moulded cornice with two blank shields on each of the north and south sides. The replacement Welsh slate roof has corniced stone end chimneys. A former house, the oldest part of the west range, is now a byre. Tower has segmental barrel vault to ground floor; remains of mural stairs. (Listed Building Report)
Randalhome, Alston, a fourteenth century peel tower, originally the manor house of Kirkhaugh, first mentioned in 1370. A Tudor wing was added circa 1600 and remodelled in classical style circa 1650 (Collingwood; Curwen).
The peel tower, of three stories with added attic and gabled roof, forms the SE corner of a later farmhouse. It measures 8.3m x 7.7m with walls 1.7m thick, and contains an original doorway, leading into a barrel-vaulted basement. The later additions are not outstanding (LS Reviser (BA Cowling 24.7.80)).
Adjacent to the Hall is a range containing a bastle. (PastScape)
Nicholas de Vipont is recorded as having a 'capital messuage' at Randalholme in 1315, Robert, son of Nichols de Veteriponte held Raynerholm in 1373.