Grade 2 listed building on site of C15 pele tower demolish 1812.
Lamplugh Castle, which stood near the old Roman road leading from Egremont to Cockermouth. The Lamplughs held it in the time of Henry II., and the old hall continued as the residence of the knightly family of the Lamplughs down to the period of the Civil War. The old tower of Lamplugh was a bulky square building with high ramparts, and extremely massive, with walls nine feet thick. At the beginning of the present century the tower was still standing with some of its loopholed walls and surrounding buildings, until in 1821, it was ruthlessly destroyed and replaced by a farmhouse. (Taylor 1892)
the old hall, the ancient residence of this knightly family, has been replaced by a substantial farm house. The gateway bears on a shield the date 1595. The tower was taken down in 1821, when it was found that the mortar was harder than the stone itself, and the walls, being eight feet thick, required the force of gunpowder to rend them asunder. (Mannix and Whellan 1847)
The date of demolition is given as 1821 in Taylor and 1812 in PastScape - clearly some transference of the numbers has taken place although which date is correct is unclear, although early souces seem to suggest the 1821 date.