Hundred House; The Mount

Has been described as a Certain Timber Castle (Motte), and also as a Certain Masonry Castle, and also as a Urban Defence

There are masonry footings remains

NameHundred House; The Mount
Alternative NamesBrynllwyd Mount; Glan Edw
Historic CountryRadnorshire
Modern AuthorityPowys
1974 AuthorityPowys

An oval motte, c.50m by 42m, and bailey, c.14m by 21m, ditched except where they rest on natural scarps to the SW, with a further ditched and banked enclosure, c.91m by 94m, adjoining on the E. (Coflein)

Motte and bailey. Motte about 9m high from bottom of shallow moat. Bailey 22m by 18m to s of motte. Beyond this is larger area (about 1.2ha) surrounded by bank and ditch. (Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust HER)

The monument comprises the remains of a motte and bailey castle, a military stronghold built during the medieval period. A motte and bailey castle comprises a large conical or pyramidal mound of soil or stone (the motte) surrounded by, or adjacent to, one or more embanked enclosures (the bailey). Both may be surrounded by wet or dry ditches and could be further strengthened with palisades, revetments, and/or a tower on top of the motte. The Mount is located on level ground c.50m north-east of the river Edw. The motte, which measures c.50m north-west to south-east by c.42m, is at the west end of the bailey and stands to a height of c.10m with a flat oval summit. It is ditched on its north and east sides; elsewhere the ditch has disappeared. Adjoining the motte on its south-east side is a small embanked enclosure or platform measuring c.21m north-east to south-west by 12m. Beyond this to the east is the main bailey, measuring c.80m in diameter internally and enclosing an area of about 0.8ha. It is defended by a bank and ditch, which are clearly defined but present only on the north and north-east sides, with a simple entrance gap on the north-east. The topography suggests that the south side of the bailey may have been lost to erosion from the river at some stage. (Scheduling Report)

Masonry remnants on motte. The only motte and bailey in Elfael Uwch Mynydd commote. For this reason it is almost certainly the first castle called Colwyn and was the fortress mentioned down to its destruction in 1196

It was probably commenced in 1093 by Ralph Tosny of Clifford and taken by the forces of Madog ab Idnerth around 1135 and then rebuilt by Hugh Mortimer of Wigmore in 1144. It was not mentioned again and must have reverted to Welsh control probably with the defeat of Hugh by his Angevin enemies in the period 1148-53. The castle was rebuilt by the forces of William Braose in 1195 and besieged and finally destroyed by Prince Rhys ap Gruffydd in 1196. (Remfry)

Gatehouse Comments

King suggests the size of the outer bailey (1.2ha) suggests burgus defence but this has not been taken up by any other author.

- Philip Davis

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

Not Listed

The National Monument Record (Coflein) number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSO116542
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Remfry, P., 2008, The Castles and History of Radnorshire (SCS Publishing)
  • Morgan, Gerald, 2008, Castles in Wales: A Handbook (Talybont: Y Lolfa Cyf.) p. 249 (listed)
  • Salter, Mike, 2001, The Castles of Mid Wales (Malvern) p. 62
  • Pettifer, Adrian, 2000, Welsh Castles, A Guide by Counties (Boydell Press) p. 181
  • Remfry, P., 1996, Castles of Radnorshire (Logaston Press) p. 125-7 (plan)
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 2 p. 408, 413
  • RCAHMW, 1913, An inventory of the Ancient Monuments of Radnorshire (HMSO) p. 52 no. 193 online copy
  • Davies, Edwin (ed), Williams, Jonathan, 1905, A General History of the County of Radnor (reprinted from 1858, Archaeologia Cambrensis Vol. 13) (slight)


  • Hogg, A.H.A. and King, D.J.C., 1963, 'Early castles in Wales and the Marches: a preliminary list' Archaeologia Cambrensis Vol. 112 p. 77-124
  • Banks, R.W., 1875, 'On prehistoric remains in the Edwy Valley, Radnorshire' Archaeologia Cambrensis Vol. 30 p. 252 online copy
  • Williams, J., 1858, 'History of Radnorshire' Archaeologia Cambrensis Vol. 13 p. 469-616 esp p. 610 online copy


  • Silvester, R.J., 1994, Radnorshire Historic Settlements (CPAT report) p. 37 online copy