Has been described as a Possible Pele Tower, and also as a Possible Bastle
There are major building remains
Kingston Farm is situated at the end of a long lane, north-east of the minor road running from Maiden Wells to Freshwater East, 1km south of Pembroke. Along the south-eastern side of the lane, there is a long outbuilding range, 18th to 19th century, with stone rubble walls and slate roofs. There is a blocked arched doorway in the north-east gable end. The whitewashed north-west elevation has three wide entrances towards the northern end; the south-east elevation with two doorways and a window. The farmhouse itself has been modernised but retains an inglenook fireplace with bressummer and bread oven, a 19th century staircase and two panelled doors. It was too altered externally for inclusion in the statutory list. The Medieval Outbuilding is at the north-west corner of the site (NPRN: 22587). (Coflein)
Medieval Tower house at Kingston Farm complex. (Dyfed Archaeological Trust HER)
Situated SE of the house at Kingston Farm some 2km SE of the centre of Pembroke.
Outbuilding with stone vaulted ground floor, possibly medieval, but possibly C16. Kingston was a house of the Meares family in the later C17, but owned by John Campbell Hooke in 1786, when it was tenanted. By 1841 it was part of the Orielton estate, occupied by John Daniel. The house is altered but retains C18 features within. The vaulted outbuilding is at right angles to a long added range.
Vaulted ground floor has curved rubble stone barrel vault, and deep splayed reveal to end-wall loop window. Added range has pine pegged collar trusses, and formerly had dividing wall between cartsheds and upper end.
Range of rubble stone outbuildings with slate roofs. Lofted building at NE end at right angles to single storey range has stone-vaulted ground floor. Tall NW gable end to farm track with small stone loop each floor, the upper one with dripstone. Left side wall has small square window to loft at left
SW gable end, to farmyard, has ground floor masonry forward of upper gable masonry, suggesting vaulted structure is older than upper loft. Door with stone lintel. Right SW side has loft door to right, this side at right angles to single-storey farm range. SW long single-storey range with whitewashed rubble walls and close-eaved slate roof. NW front has three wide cart-entrances with oak lintels under eaves, towards left end, and is otherwise windowless. Big C20 opening in upper NE gable end. Rubble stone rear SE elevation has three openings to upper left end, with timber lintels, the broader centre one blocked as window. (Listed Building Report)
This site is a scheduled monument protected by law
This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law
Historic Wales CADW listed database record number
The National Monument Record (Coflein) number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||SR994994