Drim Camp, Llawhaden

Has been described as a Rejected Timber Castle (Other/Unknown)

There are cropmark/slight earthwork remains

NameDrim Camp, Llawhaden
Alternative NamesDrum Camp
Historic CountryPembrokeshire
Modern AuthorityPembrokeshire
1974 AuthorityDyfed

Drim Camp is a descheduled hillfort, 400 yards to the south-east of Drim Castle. The hillfort is a banked and ditched oval enclosure, about 30m north-west to south-east by 25m, having a north-west facing entrance, set on the western end of a east-west ridge summit. Near total excavation produced evidence for later prehistoric and Roman period occupation, centring on a single circular structure; pre-enclosure activity, including cultivation marks, was attested, whilst a cremation deposit was not closely dated: a distinct later, or post-medieval occupation period, involving rectangular structures, is indicated. (Coflein–ref. Williams & Mytum)

Gatehouse Comments

The excavation does not actually exclude medieval occupation but clearly not a high status medieval site and can be rejected.

- Philip Davis

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

Not Listed

The National Monument Record (Coflein) number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSN066193
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights ReservedView full Sized Image

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Hull, Lise, 2005, Castles and Bishops Palaces of Pembrokeshire (Logaston Press) p. 87 (reject)
  • Williams, G., and Mytum, H.C., 1998, Llawhaden, Dyfed (BAR British series no. 275) p. 53-64.
  • Salter, Mike, 1996, The Castles of South West Wales (Malvern) p. 86 (slight)
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 2 p. 399
  • RCAHMW, 1925, An inventory of the Ancient Monuments of Pembrokeshire (HMSO) p. 138 no. 376 online copy


  • Crossley, 1963, Bulletin of the Board of Celtic Studies Vol. 20 p. 202 no. 51