Norton Camp, Oxwich

Has been described as a Possible Timber Castle (Ringwork)

There are earthwork remains

NameNorton Camp, Oxwich
Alternative Names
Historic CountryGlamorgan
Modern AuthoritySwansea
1974 AuthorityWest Glamorgan
CommunityPenrice

Partial ringwork fortifying a spur with natural defences to N, NE and SE; no surving ditch; clearly marked house platform in interior (RCAHMW 1992, 120-1, CR16). (Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust HER)

Norton Camp. The earthwork is little changed since 1970 when it was planned by OS. Its location on a promontory seems diagnostic though it is not included as an Iron Age hillfort site in the Inventory. A possible platform on the N side of the interior has been taken to imply a homestead function for the site and therefore a possible medieval date. (Glamorgan, vol III, Part .ii). (Coflein)

The monument comprises the remains of a well preserved castle-ringwork, which dates to the medieval period (c. AD 1066 - 1485). Norton Camp occupies a small peninsula site. The main defences, a single bank and ditch, are constructed across the neck of the peninsula. The rampart curves inward to control the entrance - along the scarp on the steep north-east side, there are subsidiary works, facing outwards, at the tip of the spur. A levelled house site, probably of later date, lies just within the entrance. (Scheduling Report)

Gatehouse Comments

If medieval or had medieval use then possibly a precursor to Oxwich castle.

- Philip Davis

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

Not Listed

The National Monument Record (Coflein) number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSS491867
Latitude51.5595893859863
Longitude-4.17750978469849
Eastings249100
Northings186700
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Morgan, Gerald, 2008, Castles in Wales: A Handbook (Talybont: Y Lolfa Cyf.) p. 254 (listed as ?IA)
  • < >RCAHMW, 1991, An Inventory of the Ancient Monuments in Glamorgan Vol. 3 Part 1a: The Early Castles (London: HMSO) < > CR16 p. 120-1
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. 167
  • Hague, D.B., 1971, in Pugh, T.B. (ed), Glamorgan County History Vol. 3 The Middle Ages (Cardiff) p. 444

Journals

  • King, D.J.C. and Alcock, L., 1969, 'Ringworks in England and Wales' Ch√Ęteau Gaillard Vol. 3 p. 90-127
  • Hogg, A.H.A. and King, D.J.C., 1963, 'Early castles in Wales and the Marches: a preliminary list' Archaeologia Cambrensis Vol. 112 p. 77-124 (possible)