Loughor Town Defences

Has been described as a Possible Urban Defence

There are no visible remains

NameLoughor Town Defences
Alternative NamesLogher; Llonghour
Historic CountryGlamorgan
Modern AuthoritySwansea
1974 AuthorityWest Glamorgan
CommunityLlwchwr

No remains of Roman earthwork defences possibly re-utilized by medieval town. (Bond)

Borough, associated with castle (Nprn417) & church/chapel (Nprn13509), set partly within ramparts of Roman fort (Nprn107606); first mentioned 1319, thought to have been established in the later C13 (Coflein)

Gatehouse Comments

The town was never of any great size and certainly fitted within the Roman fort, the only question being how much of these remained and if any work was done to re-cut ditches.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

Not Listed

The National Monument Record (Coflein) number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSS563980
Latitude51.662281036377
Longitude-4.07845020294189
Eastings256300
Northings198000
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Creighton, O.H. and Higham, R.A., 2005, Medieval Town Walls (Stroud: Tempus) p. 27, 74, 273
  • Bond, C.J., 1987, 'Anglo-Saxon and Medieval Defences' in Schofield, J. and Leech, R. (eds), Urban Archaeology in Britain (CBA Research Report 61) p. 92-116 online copy
  • Lewis, Samual, 1849, A Topographical Dictionary of Wales online copy

Journals

  • Creighton, Oliver, 2006, ''Castles of Communities': Medieval Town Defences in England; Wales and Gascony' Ch√Ęteau Gaillard Vol. 22 p. 75-86