Castle Ely, Eglwyscummin

Has been described as a Questionable Timber Castle (Motte)

There are earthwork remains

NameCastle Ely, Eglwyscummin
Alternative NamesCyffic; Parc y Twmp, Castell Heli; Castell Park
Historic CountryCarmarthenshire
Modern AuthorityCarmarthenshire
1974 AuthorityDyfed

Some vestiges of an ancient military earthwork exist in a field here, which, from that circumstance, has obtained the appellation of "Castell Park." (Lewis)

Noted by David King as a possible motte. Rejected by Davis as prehistoric burial mound and recorded as such in Coflein and Dyfed Archaeological Trust HER.

The monument comprises the remains of an earthen round barrow, which probably dates to the Bronze Age (c. 2300 - 800 BC). The barrow is circular on plan measuring about 20m in diameter and up to 3.5m in height. Cremation remains were found upon excavation in 1889. (Scheduling Report)

Gatehouse Comments

This mound does overlook a main road at a point where it is in a steep sided valley. This position is similar to several small welsh earthwork castles which seem to have functioned as tax and duty collection points. It is also on the county boundary, which, at this point, might represent a fairly ancient boundary.

- Philip Davis

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

Not Listed

The National Monument Record (Coflein) number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSN193105
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Davis, Paul, 2000, A Company of Forts. A Guide to the Medieval Castles of West Wales (Gomer Press) p. 45 (reject)
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. 60 (possible)
  • RCAHMW, 1917, An inventory of the Ancient Monuments of Carmarthenshire (HMSO) p. 19 no. 93 online copy
  • Lewis, Samual, 1849, A Topographical Dictionary of Wales online copy


  • Treherne, G.G.T., 1890, 'opening of a Tumulus at Castle Hill, Co. Caermarthen' Archaeologia Cambrensis Vol. 45 p. 41-2 online copy