The Hill

Has been described as a Possible Bastle

There are no visible remains

NameThe Hill
Alternative NamesHill on the Wall
Historic CountryCumberland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishWaterhead

House. Mid C18 on the site of an earlier house. Incised stucco on chamfered plinth with raised V-jointed quoins, moulded cornice; Welsh slate roof, end stone chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 5 bays. 6-panelled door in eared moulded architrave. Sash windows with glazing bars in plain painted stone surrounds, that to left of entrance altered to C20 French window. Listing excludes outbuildings now converted into holiday flats. (Listed Building Report)

The property is a Grade 2 Listed Building and has been part of the historic landscape since it was built as a fortified "bastle" farmhouse in 1595, on an outstanding hilltop location overlooking Hadrian's Wall. (

Gatehouse Comments

The house, called The Hill on the OS map but Hill on the Wall by the current owners, is close to Hadrian's Wall but is on the other side of the River Irthing from the Wall. The form of the 'earlier house' isn't clear but, in this area, is likely to have been a peel-house bastle. What is the evidence for the earlier house? Where does the 1595 date come from?

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY624668
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print