Bromley Hall

Has been described as a Possible Pele Tower, and also as a Possible Palace (Royal)

There are major building remains

NameBromley Hall
Alternative Names
Historic CountryLondon and Middlesex
Modern AuthorityLondon Borough of Tower Hamlets
1974 AuthorityGreater London
Civil ParishTower Hamlets

Bromley Hall, on the E. side of Brunswick Road, opposite the end of Venue Street, is of two storeys with attics and cellar; the walls are of brick and the roofs are tiled. It was built probably early in the 16th century, but was largely remodelled c. 1700, when a single-storeyed wing was added on the E. side. There are later additions on the S. side. The W. front has original octagonal buttresses of brick at the angles and an original moulded string-course between the storeys; the other features, including the window-openings, with eared architraves of rubbed brick, and the coved plaster eaves-cornice, are of c. 1700; the doorway is of late 18th-century date. On the N. front, the original string-course has been replaced by a flat band and the whole front plastered; the octagonal buttress remains at the N.E. angle and the coved cornice is continued under the eaves. In the middle of the front is a projection with canted sides. Interior—On the ground floor, the dining-room has original moulded ceiling-beams and wall-plates and hollow-chamfered joists; the walls are lined with 18th-century panelling, including a half-domed recess with a round head and shelves; over the fireplace is a bolection-moulded panel. On the first floor, there is some plain 18th-century panelling and one fireplace has some Dutch tiles; in the bath-room a portion of an original moulded door-frame is exposed. The staircase to the attics has moulded string and handrail, square newel and three twisted balusters, all of c. 1700. In the attics is an old battened door with strap-hinges. (RCHME 1930)

The Museum of London Archaeology Service conducted an standing buildings survey in 2002 on this Grade IIstar listed building in advance refurbishment for use as offices. A masonry wall foundation implies the existence of a probable medieval gatehouse at the north end of the lower manor of Bromley

This was partially incorporated into the foundations of the current building, which was dated by dendrochronology to a period between 1482 and 1495. The current house began as a tower-house, rising at least three stories above ground. The lowest two stories were of brick, with octagonal brick turrets at the corners. Many of the internal timbers survive, including the moulded oak joists, survive, and there would have been a timber spiral staircase partially within a half-octagonal stair turret projecting form the north wall. The second and higher floors may have been timber-framed and jettied out, forming a prospect tower. Shortly after 1700 the house was remodelled, reduced in height to its current two storeys and given a steeply pitches hipped roof lit by dormer windows. Sash windows replaced the original casements, the stairs were replaced by straight flights, and cellars were added. The building may have housed an overseer or manager of the 18th century building nearby, where calico was processed and printed. Early in the 19th century the calico works were demolished and the house became domestic. From 1889 it was occupied by a nursing order, the Regions Beyond Missionary Union, and from 1914 it was a training hospital, the Royal College of St Katharine, who added a ground-floor ward and other rooms to the south around 1925. Bomb damage in World War Two caused the building to be partially reconstructed around 1951. (Greater London Archaeology Advisory Service)

Gatehouse Comments

A fine late medieval house, with a solar tower reputedly used as a hunting lodge (and 'love nest') by Henry VIII and converted into a fine C18 house now, rather incongruously sat on the edge of the 6 lane A12.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceTQ381819
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Emery, Anthony, 2006, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 3 Southern England (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 239
  • Cherry, B., O'Brien, C. and Pevsner, N., 2005, Buildings of England: London East (Yale University Press) p. 634-5
  • RCHME, 1930, Inventory of Historic Monuments in London Vol. 5: East London (HMSO) p. 55b No. 6 online transcription
  • Ashbee, C.R., 1900, Survey of London (London) p. 17-18 (and plan, [elevation >] and [view >]) [online transcription >]


  • 2006 Feb 1, ''Enry's East Ender' Evening Standard p. 9 online copy