New Hall Tower

Has been described as a Possible Pele Tower

There are cropmark/slight earthwork remains

NameNew Hall Tower
Alternative NamesClifford's Tower
Historic CountryYorkshire
Modern AuthorityNorth Yorkshire
1974 AuthorityNorth Yorkshire
Civil ParishEmbsay with Eastby

'New Hall or Cliffords Tower (Site of)' is depicted on the 1st edition 6" OS map.

On the high pinnacle of the Forest of Cookrise near Waterford Water Fall Gill the Cliffords built a watch or hunting tower overlooking that of the Nortons. It is mentioned in a boundary perambulation of c.1600. (Whitaker 1878; Bogg 1904)

Surveyed at 6" scale. Only a small mound of heather covered masonry within the vague outline of the foundations remains. These measure 6m by 5.7m. (OS Archaeology Division Field Investigator's Comment, R.L. Lewis, 27/07/1965)

Condition unchanged. Outline of foundations surveyed at 1:10,000. (OS Archaeology Division Field Investigator's Comment, R.W. Emsley, 04/05/1976) (Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority)

Gatehouse Comments

Although this doesn't survive it was probably similar to Norton Tower on the other side of the valley which it was inter-visible with. The Cliffords and Norton appeared to have been local rivals, in dispute over the deer hunting. Neither of these towers would be military although if an argument between hunting parties armed with hunting weapons got out of hand either or both might be safe refuges. Clearly their main function was as symbolic markers of territory and as leisure retreats for hunting parties.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSD984565
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Bogg, E., 1904, Higher Wharfedale p. 278 online copy
  • Whitaker, T.D., 1878, History and Antiquities of the Deanery of Craven (3rd edition) p. 442