Pool Hall moated site

Has been described as a Possible Fortified Manor House

There are earthwork remains

NamePool Hall moated site
Alternative Names
Historic CountryShropshire
Modern AuthorityShropshire
1974 AuthorityShropshire
Civil ParishAlveley

Pool Hall moated site is a well-preserved example of this type of monument. In addition to the late 16th or early 17th century house, the moated island retains upstanding and buried evidence of medieval structures that once stood on the site. These structures, together with the associated artefacts and organic remains, will provide valuable evidence about the occupation and social status of the inhabitants of the site. Organic remains surviving in the moat, will also provide information about the changes to the local environment and the use of the land after the moated site was constructed. The importance of the site is enhanced by the post-medieval documentary sources, which provide details of ownership. The associated fishponds, which were used for the breeding and storing of fish in order to provide a sustainable supply of food, provide further evidence about the economy and life style of the inhabitants of the moated site during the medieval period.

The monument includes the earthwork, upstanding structural and buried remains of a medieval moated site. It is considered to be the centre of the manor of Alveley, which in 1562 was split between Humphrey Grove, Thomas Throckmorton and Margaret his wife. In 1583, on the death of his father, half of the manor, passed to John Grove, a freeman of the Right Worshipful Company of Grocers of London, who died in 1616. A documentary source indicates that John Grove may have obtained sole ownership of the manor house in 1594. It is likely that, soon after this acquisition, John Grove constructed Pool Hall, a large three storeyed brick-built house, which sits in the centre of the moated island. The front of the house was refaced in the early 18th century. The house and the 18th century walled forecourt are Listed Buildings Grade IIstar. The moated site was constructed on a north west facing slope in an area of undulating land

The waterfilled moat defines a D-shaped island approximately 55m north to south by 80m east to west (maximum dimensions). With the exception of the western moat arm, the arms of the moat are between 12m and 18m wide. The western arm has been enlarged to form a rectangular pool about 26m wide by 60m long (maximum dimensions). The western half of the southern arm was infilled during the early 18th century in order to construct the walled forecourt. This part of the moat will, however, survive as a buried feature. The eastern boundary wall of the forecourt was built over an earlier entrance causeway constructed of sandstone blocks, which is believed to be of medieval date. The moated island has been revetted with stone, which along the southern side forms the base of a stone-built curtain wall, partly heightened with brick in the 18th century. All these structural features, with the exception of the 18th century forecourt walls, are included in the scheduling. A modern earthen causeway now separates the southern and eastern moat arms. To the north and south of the moat, and connected to it, were a series of medieval fishponds. These ponds have been redefined and others constructed to form a modern fishery. The ponds are not included in the scheduling. (Scheduling Report)

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSO767837
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Newman, J. and Pevsner, N. 2006, Buildings of England: Shropshire p. 115
  • Wall (after Downham), 1908, in Page, Wm (ed), VCH Shropshire Vol. 1 p. 402


  • 1980, Moated Sites Research Group Report No. 7 p. 50