Greenthwaite Hall

Has been described as a Rejected Pele Tower

There are major building remains

NameGreenthwaite Hall
Alternative Names
Historic CountryCumberland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishGreystoke

Farmhouse and extension, now divided into 2 dwellings. Mid C16 with alterations and additions dated and inscribed over entrance (Here we consider ourselves sojourners, in Latin) M & D H 1650 (Miles & Dorothy Halton), under Halton coat-of-arms dated 1660. Thick walls of pink sandstone rubble with flush quoins, under graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and kneelers; diagonal stone chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 3 bays and left 3-bay extension with centre 3-storey gabled stone porch under common roof. Lower right-angled 2-storey extension of 2 builds, 3 bays, forming overall F-shape. Entrance to original house has been lost in later extensions; 2-, 3- and 4-light chamfered stone-mullioned windows under hoodmoulds. 1650 porch and left extension are in a similar style, the porch with a Tudor-arched doorway and the 2-, 3- and 4-light windows under continuous hoods which are carried around the side walls of the porch. Left extension has C20 door in stone architrave, the present front door to Greenthwaite Hall Farmhouse. Porch and extension have ornamented strapwork panels between floors. Right-angled extension has central stonework joint. The left part has 2-, 3- and 4-light stone-mullioned windows, the 4-light window under a strapwork panel. The right part has C20 door in stone architrave, the present entrance to Greenthwaite Hall Cottage. The rear of the main house has a central stonework joint; the left part is the earlier house and the right part the 1650 extension. Both parts have similar 2- and 3-light chamfered stone-mullioned windows, one on the left now a C20 doorway, all under hoodmoulds. Left return wall has blocked small chamfered-surround windows. Right return wall has upper-floor blocked 2-light windows. Interior of the oldest part has in its principal room a large C16 arched stone fireplace and beamed ceiling. The windows have segmental splayed arches

Outbuildings, now used as garages, dated and inscribed HCH 1904 (Henry Charles Howard) are not of interest. (Listed Building Report)

Gatehouse Comments

Fine example of C16 hall house in an area where many house of the this status and quality had a fortified element. This house however was not fortified which shows such fortification was not a necessity in this area (as is sometimes suggested) although this house is close to Greystoke castle.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY431302
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 188 (plan)
  • Beard, E., 1978, The Greater House in Cumbria (Kendal)
  • Curwen, J.F., 1913, Castles and Fortified Towers of Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire North of the Sands (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 13) p. 433, 441
  • Taylor, M.W., 1892, Old Manorial Halls of Westmorland and Cumberland (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 8) p. 304-9 online copy


  • Brunskill, R.W., 1957, 'The Development of the large house in the Eden Valley 1350-1840' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 57 p. 84 (plan) online copy
  • Curwen, J.F., 1907, 'Greenthwaite Hall' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 7 p. 128-34 (plan) online copy