Has been described as a Questionable Bastle

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains

Alternative Names
Historic CountryCumberland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishFarlam

Possible stonehouse. Probably built as a shieling.

Ipm 1485; 'There is also... a waste messuage called Templegarth... 100 acres of meadow... wch is nothing woorth by year...'

Leonard Dacre was admitted to the 'messuage' and in 1575 Thomas Carleton, land sergeant, held the 'tenement' for the Barony of Gilsland. By 1607 it was part of Geltsdale Farm and its repairs are recorded. There were six cottages here, and Census of 1841 records two families. By 1871 it was occupied by coal miners.

Now used as a bull pen. The structure is surrounded by large earthworks, partly the result of mineworking, partly the foundations of lost structures. The standing building exhibits at least five phases with the earliest associated with large scale squared rubble and the east door with mitred frame. (Perriam and Robinson 1998)

Gatehouse Comments

There doesn't appear to be anything to suggest this was a two storey building and, therefore, not really a pele-house bastle although it is similar in history and, by floor plan, form to many possible bastles.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

Not Listed

County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY598597
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 174

Primary Sources

  • 1898, Calendar of inquisitions post mortem and other analogous documents preserved in the Public Record Office Vol. 1 no. 10 (1485) (TNA ref C142/1/12)
  • Ornsby, G. (ed), 1877, Household Accounts of Naworth 1612-40 (London: Surtees Society 68) p. 177, 325 (1624 - Purchase of cloth for cheese clothes for Tarn House) online copy