Bridgnorth Severn Bridge

Has been described as a Certain Fortified Bridge

There are masonry footings remains

NameBridgnorth Severn Bridge
Alternative Names
Historic CountryShropshire
Modern AuthorityShropshire
1974 AuthorityShropshire
Civil ParishBridgnorth

The earliest bridge may have been at Quatford. Until the building of Bewdley Bridge c1447 the Bridgnorth bridge was the main crossing point of the Severn in this area. The Chapel was known variously as 'The Holy Trinity and St Sythe', 'St Clement and St Syth' or 'St Sythe'. St Sythe was a Saxon Saint who narrowly escaped drowning crossing a footbridge and was a favoured saint of Richard de Belleme. Buildings on the bridge stood more or less intact at the end of the 18th century but were gradually removed to aid traffic flow. By 1924, no buildings survived. A gatehouse stood on the bridge. This may be the roundheaded archway with rooms above shown in 18th century illustrations. It was removed by 1824, for in 1823-24 the bridge was widened throughout and both ends rebuilt (Clark-Maxwell). (Shropshire HER 00423)

The precise location of the chapel to St Osyth or St Sythe is uncertain, but it was probably over the fortified gate on the bridge. The foundation of the chapel may go back to the founding of the town, c1100. A detailed inventory of the chapel of the early C16 is published. The Gateway is shown in a painting of 1797. It seems probable that the Gatehouse was sited upon the second pier of the bridge. (Shropshire HER 00382)

Of medieval origin but largely rebuilt 1795 with further reconstruction by Telford 1823. (Listed Building Report)

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSO718930
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Rowley, R.T., 1972, The Shropshire Landscape p. 187


  • Toulmin-Smith, Lucy (ed), 1908, The itinerary of John Leland in or about the years 1535-1543 (London: Bell and Sons) Vol. 2 p. 86 online copy


  • Clark-Maxwell, W.G., 1923/24, 'Bridgnorth: the Bridge and its Chapel' Transactions of the Shropshire Archaeological and Historical Society Vol. 42 p. 118-125