Barrow Hall

Has been described as a Possible Fortified Manor House

There are earthwork remains

NameBarrow Hall
Alternative Names
Historic CountrySuffolk
Modern AuthoritySuffolk
1974 AuthoritySuffolk
Civil ParishBarrow

VCH record of a 'moated enclosure with stronger defensive works (Class G)' Barrow Hall, north of the village, 6 miles west from Bury St. Edmunds, has extensive remains of strong entrenchments. There is one perfect, large, square moat, with the western side extended northwards, which is evidently part of the enclosure of another area. These moats have been strengthened by inner and outer banks ; that within the square moat is a great rampart 20 ft. broad, rising 5 ft. from the interior with an escarpment of 16 ft. to the water. The bank on the outside of the moat is preserved only at the south-west corner and the southern side ; this is of the same height, but of less width, than the inner one. Without the northern side another piece is left; but the greater part was destroyed forty years ago. On the western side of the extension the bank is 6 ft. high. When in a complete state this must have been one of the strongest homestead defences in the county. (VCH)

Barrow Hall was a large brick building, within a moat. It was pulled down about 1730. Barrow Hall has been completely levelled; its site has been ploughed and is at present under crop. The old Hall stood within a strongly defended, nearly square water-filled homestead moat, situated on flat ground. The moated island measures up to 96 metres by 90 metres and is surrounded by a waterfilled ditch averaging 21 metres in width and 4 metres in depth. An inner bank, along the west and south sides may originally have extended around all but the north-western corner of the island. It may have acted as a raised walkway surrounding a formal garden. Outer banks survive along the north, east, south and part of the west sides. Two ponds extending northwards from the western moat arm may represent either medieval fishponds or ornamental garden features asociated with an early post-medieval formal garden north of the moat. Apparently spring fed, the moat drained at the north west through the fishponds

Access to the island, which is not raised, is by an original causeway in the west arm. (PastScape)

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceTL762640
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Wall, 1911, in Page, Wm (ed), VCH Suffolk Vol. 1 p. 620 online copy
  • Copinger, W.A., 1911, Manors of Suffolk Vol. 7 p. 3- online copy