Hunstanton Hall

Has been described as a Possible Fortified Manor House

There are major building remains

NameHunstanton Hall
Alternative Names
Historic CountryNorfolk
Modern AuthorityNorfolk
1974 AuthorityNorfolk
Civil ParishOld Hunstanton

One of the great houses of Norfolk, this was the mansion of the L'Estrange family (the name was changed to Le Strange in 1839 and adopted by the Stylemans, who inherited in 1760). P.G. Wodehouse was a frequent visitor in the 1920s and 1930s and the house is featured in some of his stories. The moated site surrounds buildings which are said to have C14 cores and a gatehouse of 1487. The hall was rebuilt in 1618, and the side ranges in 1623, with a wall along the moat dated 1622. The Octagon is of 1640 and the formal gardens after 1686. There were fires in 1835 and 1853, followed in each case by rebuilding, with further work in the 1870s and up to 1900. A third fire followed in 1950. The wing north of the gatehouse that was gutted by the 1950 fire was restored in the 1980s. The earthworks to the south of the Hall and gardens have been recorded during the NMP mapping under the site number of NHER 26941. The extent of the moat has been mapped, although the aerial photograph evidence did not reveal anything that is not obvious on the ground or map. The area of water features, to the north of the hall, marked 'mill waters' has also been mapped. These appear to create three roughly oblong islands, surrounded by water, centred on TF 6907 4205. These 'moated' islands represent some form of water management, possibly to do with a mill, although they do not appear to form a standard mill pond or race. It is more likely that they are related to the supply of water for the hall moats. (Norfolk HER)

Gatehouse Comments

For bringing this site to our attention Gatehouse thanks Roger Wilson.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceTF691418
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Emery, Anthony, 2000, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 2 East Anglia, Central England and Wales (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 127n7
  • Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B., 1999, The Buildings of England: Norfolk: North-West and South p. 213
  • Cooper, Nicholas, 1999, Houses of the Gentry, 1480-1680 (Yale University Press) p. 206
  • Bryant, A., 1826, Bryant's Map of Norfolk
  • Blomefield, F., 1809, 'Smethdon Hundred: Hunstanton Lordship' An Essay towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk Vol. 10 p. 312-28 (tenurial history) online transcription


  • Hussey, C., 1926, Country Life Vol. 59 p. 552-9, 586-95
  • 1923, Norfolk Archaeology Vol. 21 p. 77-96 (C14 accounts)
  • Le Strange, Hamon, 1920, 'A Roll of Household Accounts of Sir Hamon le Strange of Hunstanton, Norfolk, 1347-8' Archaeologia Vol. 69 p. 111-20 (C14 accounts) online copy

Primary Sources


  • Historic England, 2016, Heritage at Risk East of England Register 2016 (London: Historic England) p. 41 online copy
  • Historic England, 2015, Heritage at Risk East of England Register 2015 (London: Historic England) p. 43 online copy
  • English Heritage, 2014, Heritage at Risk Register 2014 East of England (London: English Heritage) p. 45 online copy
  • English Heritage, 2013, Heritage at Risk Register 2013 East of England (London: English Heritage) p. 47 online copy
  • English Heritage, 2012, Heritage at Risk Register 2012 East of England (London: English Heritage) p. 57 online copy
  • English Heritage, 2011, Heritage at Risk Register 2011 East of England (London: English Heritage) p. 52 online copy
  • Faire, T., 2003, Historical Report and Evaluation of Gatehouse and South Wings
  • Rose, E. (NLA), 2003, Building Report