Hales Hall, Loddon

Has been described as a Possible Fortified Manor House

There are masonry footings remains

NameHales Hall, Loddon
Alternative Names
Historic CountryNorfolk
Modern AuthorityNorfolk
1974 AuthorityNorfolk
Civil ParishLoddon

The remains of a late 15th century house built by James Hobart (Henry VII's attorney general) from 1478 onwards survive on the site of a medieval hall. The only upstanding remains of the Hall are the gatehouse range and the impressive brick barn, which stand to the east of the moated site where the main house was constructed. The foundations of the late 15th century house and octagonal corner turrets are visible on the moated platform which is divided by an earthwork bank, probably a garden terrace. Roger de Hales almost certainly had a house here in the 12th century, which was associated with a deer park and a chapel dedicated to St Andrew. The distinctive curving boundary of the medieval deer park can still be traced on modern maps. There are several areas of earthworks in the vicinity of the Hall, particularly to the south and southeast of the barn. They are visible on aerial photographs and some have been the subject of detailed ground survey. They include a hollow way and several ditched enclosures, all probably of medieval date and possibly relating to an earlier hall. An area of possible ridge and furrow is visible to the northeast of the courtyard. Excavations have been carried out on the site of the Hall over a number of years, recovering prehistoric flints, Roman pottery and many medieval and post medieval finds. (Norfolk HER)

Gatehouse Comments

Not called a fortified manor house by sources but clearly the same sort of building as many houses so described.

- Philip Davis

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceTM368960
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Cushion, B. and Davison, A., 2003, Earthworks of Norfolk (Dereham: East Anglian Archaeology 104) p. 106-7
  • Blomefield, F., 1808, 'Clavering Hundred: Hales, or Lodden-Hales' An Essay towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk Vol. 8 p. 16-21 (tenurial history) online transcription


  • 1960, Norfolk Archaeology Vol. 32 p. 180-1