Ubley Manor

Has been described as a Possible Fortified Manor House

There are uncertain remains

NameUbley Manor
Alternative NamesObbeleigh; Hubley; Waterloo House
Historic CountrySomerset
Modern AuthorityBath and North East Somerset
1974 AuthorityAvon
Civil ParishUbley

Remains of a 14th century manor house formerly owned by the Cheddar family and situated two chains east of the rectory, pulled down 25 years ago during the building of the rectory (OS record card 1902).

Collinson refers to a "capital mansion" at Ubley in the time of Henry VI. The Tithe Map of 1839 shows a large L-shaped house, known as Waterloo House in 19th century, although acknowledged to be the manor house. Now no remains and published entry refers to a small outhouse and well (OS records; Collinson)

ST528584, walling including a 15th century doorway and window on the site of Ubley Manor House has been rediscovered in the kitchen garden, east of the old rectory. The 15th century doorway has been moved to the wall of a new garage and the bit of window consolidated in situ. Bristol Museum have finds from here when the house was built.(8) Site is quite extensive, c50m x 100m beside the new vicarage (date 1830). The vicarage incorporates much stone detail robbed from the manor house. The area of the house is hummocky (under grass) and presumably conceals upstanding remains of the centre house layout. This is due to be developed and should be excavated or at very least watched during building. This scheduling is intended not to cover the area of the house, but only the pieces of upstanding masonry including ashlar walls with windows and a doorway which are all the visible remains of the house - presumably part of the hall. A new house now stands on the site of the old manor house, but the bits of masonry described above have been incorporated in the new buildings or left standing. The doorway has been moved from its original site and is incorporated in the wall of the garage, just to the southeast of the house, and there is a piece of upstanding masonry standing just behind the house - this comprises some walling and part of a window frame. (Bath and North East Somerset HER)

Gatehouse Comments

Three miles south of Chew lies Ubley, where there is a modest manor house with a fortified gatehouse and a park beside it. It belonged to Lord Cheddar, whose estate passed by heiresses to the Lords Lisle, Daubeney and Newton. (Chandler - transcription and modernisation of Leland)

- Philip Davis

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceST528583
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Collinson, J., 1791, The History and Antiquities of the County of Somerset (Bath) Vol. 2 p. 156 online copy


  • Chandler, John, 1993, John Leland's Itinerary: travels in Tudor England  (Sutton Publishing) p. 430
  • Toulmin-Smith, Lucy (ed), 1910, The itinerary of John Leland in or about the years 1535-1543 (London: Bell and Sons) Vol. 5 p. 104 online copy


  • Neale, F.A. and Ponsford, M.W., 1972, CBA group12/13 Vol. 6 p. 42