Has been described as a Possible Palace (Bishop)

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains

Alternative NamesFaringdon Episcopi
Historic CountryHampshire and the Isle of Wight
Modern AuthorityHampshire
1974 AuthorityHampshire
Civil ParishFarringdon

The Manor Farm house, which probably dates back at least to the 18th c., is undoubtedly on the site of the old Manor House.

At the back of the house the foundations of a chapel of the Bishops of Exeter can be traced. A pigeon house is mentioned in a survey of the manor taken in 1595. (a). (VCH).

Manor Farm is almost entirely modern.

No trace of a chapel was seen and a slight scatter of stone and brick at SU 7121 3552 at the east end of "Chapel Orchard" could equally represent the site of the dove-cote although the farmer Mr. Gould believes the chapel stood there. (F1 VJB 10-MAY-56). (PastScape)

House. C16, C17, C18, early and late C19. Cement rendered walls, plinth: west outshot tile hung. Victorian sashes in exposed frames, the ground-floor windows at the east side having narrow triple sashes: there are 2 small C20 windows between the 1st and 2nd bays. Large Victorian brick porch with steep tile roof, wide bargeboards, 5 narrow slotted openings at each side, pointed arch, plinth; within, there is a C18 round-headed doorway, with lead radiating decorative fanlight, and a 6-panelled door. The rear elevation (north) is timber framed above 1st floor level, the centre section has a catslide roof (aisle to hall?), wings project each side (the east being a wide 3-storeyed gable and the west with a hipped roof with gablet above a lower narrower unit, and there is a 3 storeyed staircase tower east of the centre. The lower walls are of stone. Roof hipped, tiled and brought to a lower eaves at the west side. Medieval hall with cross wings; fireplaces, upper floor (to centre) and stair-case tower added in the C17, minor C18 fittings, early C19 refronting and most fenestration, late C19 minor extensions. South front regular (C18, refaced C19), of 2 storeys; 4 windows. Cement rendering to the staircase, brickwork to the outshot; above there is exposed framing with brick infill, and tile-hanging to the staircase

Casements, one old leaded light; 2 plain doorways. The east elevation has rubble Walls to the ground-floor, and brickwork above of Flemish bond with blue headers; alterations to openings are indicated, including widened lower windows, of narrow triple sashes. Interior: the Jacobean staircase survives for the most part, there are some Georgian cupboards in recesses, and a massive chimney breast (not showing above the roof). (Listed Building Report)

A survey of the manor taken in 1595 gives its extent as 'the site of the manor with a pidgeon house, three barnes for corne, twoe barnes for hey and one gatehouse three stables a carthouse one orchard one back side and one garden—all which conteine iiii acres.' The demesne lands were said to contain 367 acres of land, 23 of wood and 85 'of cops and wood.' The 'farmer' of the manor had 'common for hogges' only in Faringdon Wood and the other tenants common for both 'hogges and sheepe.' Hewes Hill, a common wherein all the tenants had common 'and a few trees growing therein,' contained 30 acres. (Survey penes Mr. Montagu G. Knight of Chawton.)

The manor farm which stands behind the church in a quiet shady garden is undoubtedly on the site of the old manor house of Faringdon. The house itself probably dates back at least to the eighteenth century; it is of two stories with a tiled roof and a cemented front. At the back of the house the foundations of a chapel which formerly belonged to the bishops of Exeter can be traced. (VCH)

Gatehouse Comments

Residential manor of the bishop of Exeter, used as stopping place on journey from Exeter to London. Manor House contains remains of a medieval hall house.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSU711355
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Emery, Anthony, 2006, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 3 Southern England (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 549-51
  • Thompson, M.W., 1998, Medieval bishops' houses in England and Wales (Aldershot: Ashgate Publishing) p. 177
  • Page, Wm (ed), 1908, VCH Hampshire and the Isle of Wight Vol. 3 p. 20-1 online transcription