Peterhayes palace of the bishop of Exeter

Has been described as a Possible Palace (Bishop)

There are no visible remains

NamePeterhayes palace of the bishop of Exeter
Alternative NamesPeterhays
Historic CountryDevonshire
Modern AuthorityDevon
1974 AuthorityDevon
Civil ParishYarcombe

A palace of the bishop of Exeter, is recorded as having been utterly destroyed by one Richard Redmayn, Bishop of Exeter 1495-1501 (Tapley-Soper). Peterhayes was so called because it belonged to the church of St Peter at Exeter (Mawer et al). (Devon and Dartmoor HER)

Gatehouse Comments

The location is not identified but likely to be at or near to Peterhayes Farm.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceST245064
Latitude50.850269317627
Longitude-3.07467007637024
Eastings324500
Northings106400
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Emery, Anthony, 2006, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 3 Southern England (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 549-51
  • Gover, J.E.B., Mawer, A. and Stenton, F.M., 1931, The Placeā€‘Names of Devon Part 2 (English Place-Name Society 9) p. 653

Journals

  • Tapley-Soper, H., 1942-6, Devon and Cornwall notes and queries Vol. 22 p. 78-80

Primary Sources

Other

  • Payne, Naomi, 2003, The medieval residences of the bishops of Bath and Wells, and Salisbury (PhD Thesis University of Bristol) Appendix B: List of Medieval Bishop's Palaces in England and Wales (available via EThOS)