Gravesend Palace

Has been described as a Certain Palace (Royal)

There are no visible remains

NameGravesend Palace
Alternative Names
Historic CountryKent
Modern AuthorityKent
1974 AuthorityKent
Civil ParishGravesham

In 1315 Edward II acquired the manor of Gravesend following the death of Joan de Crammaville. Edward spent lavishly on the house, apparently rebuilding the old manor house. The building works were completed by 1368, and a new wharf was begun in 1369. By his will of 1376, the manor was made over to the Priory of St Mary Graces by the Tower of London, who promptly demolished the royal residence to make a dormitory, refectory, cloister and other buildings. (PastScape)

Site of a manorial complex built between 1362 and 1368 by Edward III. The complex consisted of a hall and king's chamber, a chapel, a gatehouse, two houses next to the gate and as ancillary buildings a kitchen, three houses with latrines, two ovens and a bakery, two granges, a bridge and a wharf. A wall demolished in 1951 possibly may have been part of this site. (Kent HER)

Not scheduled

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceTQ647744
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Colvin, H.M., Brown, R.Allen and Taylor, A.J., 1963, The history of the King's Works Vol. 2: the Middle Ages (London: HMSO) p. 946-8
  • Hasted, Edward, 1797 (2edn), The history and topographical survey of the county of Kent Vol. 3 p. 319- online transcription


  • Hiscock, R.H., 1990, '"King John's Palace", Gravesend: Some Notes on a Riverside Edwardian Royal Manor House' Archaeologia Cantiana Vol. 107 p. 193-205 online copy