Easthampstead Manor

Has been described as a Possible Palace (Bishop/Royal)

There are cropmark/slight earthwork remains

NameEasthampstead Manor
Alternative Names
Historic CountryBerkshire
Modern AuthorityBracknell Forest
1974 AuthorityBerkshire
Civil ParishBracknell

Royal manor, part of larger forest, and had occasional royal residence of some sort from the early C14 although this used the earlier manor house of John of Droxford, Bishop of Bath and Wells. This house is recorded as being moated and slight remains of this moat are said to be visible.

The lodge within the park was more than a mere hunting lodge. Easthampstead manor was acquired by Edward II from John of Droxford, Bishop of Bath and Wells in 1320. In 1343, the house was converted. There were two buildings arranged about a courtyard. The building on the East was converted from two rooms up and down into eight chambers, and the western bulding, a single room up and down, was converted to five chambers. The hall, chapel and kitchen were reroofed at the same time. In 1392 there were references to a great hall, great chapel, and a spicery. (PastScape ref. HKW)

Gatehouse Comments

Location now within a golf course and under a Victorian country mansion so reading the medieval landscape impossible. However from the 1871 OS map it would seem the NS linear water feature may have been a fish pond. The actual palace buildings probably lay under the later house now a conference centre.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSU845671
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Colvin, H.M., Ransome, D.R. and Summerson, John, 1982, The history of the King's Works, Vol. 4: 1485-1660 (part 2) (London) p. 76-8
  • Colvin, H.M., Brown, R.Allen and Taylor, A.J., 1963, The history of the King's Works Vol. 2: the Middle Ages (London: HMSO) p. 925-6


  • Hatherley, J.M. and Cantor, L.M., 1979-80, 'The Medieval parks of Berkshire' Berkshire Archaeological Journal Vol. 70 p. 74 download copy
  • Kempthorne, G.A., 1932, 'An Elizabethan Swainmote Court Roll of Finchampstead Bailiwick' Berkshire Archaeological Journal Vol. 36 p. 112-3 download copy


  • Oxford Archaeological Unit, 1993, An Archaeological Appraisal of Development at Peacock Farm, Bracknell (Unpublished document / SRM13029)