Easingwold Hunting Lodge

Has been described as a Possible Palace (Royal)

There are no visible remains

NameEasingwold Hunting Lodge
Alternative NamesEsingewald
Historic CountryYorkshire
Modern AuthorityNorth Yorkshire
1974 AuthorityNorth Yorkshire
Civil ParishEasingwold

Easingwold was a royal manor from the time of Domesday Book until the reign of Henry III, when it was granted first to Robert, abbot of Thorney, then to Simon de Montfort, and finally to Edmund, Earl of Lancaster. King John stayed here on at least two occasions, presumably in order to hunt in the neighbouring Forest of Galtres, and in 1217 Easingwold was included in a list of royal hunting lodges which were to be entrusted to the chief justice of the forest. No reference to the repair of the buildings during the period when the manor was in royal possession have, however, been found in the Chancery or Exchequer rolls.(HKW).

Rectory House, variously called Easingwold Hall or Manor House, and belonging to the Archdeacons of Richmond, was demolished in 1835 and replaced by a new building. The only remains are the moat, garden walls, fishpond and a few very old Weymouth pines which surround the site. From 1290 to 1317 the Manor House "became very ruinous and greatly in need of repair" (Whellan). The 'new' manor house has now been demolished and the site developed for housing. There are no remains of the fishpond, nor any trace of a moat (Field Investigator, RE, 15-JUL-1973). (PastScape)

Gatehouse Comments

This was probably the site occupied by a moated manor house with fishponds which was demolished in 1835. The moat and ponds have been levelled. The North Yorkshire HER records a fair amount of medieval activity in the area including a lime kiln and pottery kilns demonstrating how such a high status site, even one as small as this, could generate local industry, trade and income.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSE529701
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Colvin, H.M., Brown, R.Allen and Taylor, A.J., 1963, The history of the King's Works Vol. 2: the Middle Ages (London: HMSO) p. 925
  • Page, Wm (ed), 1923, VCH Yorkshire: North Riding Vol. 2 p. 129 online transcription
  • Whellan, T., 1857, History and topography of the city of York and the North Riding of Yorkshire (T Whellan and Co) Vol. 2 p. 603-4 online copy

Primary Sources

  • Maxwell Lyte, H.C. (ed), 1901, Calendar of Patent Rolls Henry III (1216-25) Vol. 1 p. 124-5 online copy