Has been described as a Possible Fortified Manor House

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains

Alternative NamesPIttlesden; Pitlesden; Pittelesden
Historic CountryKent
Modern AuthorityKent
1974 AuthorityKent
Civil ParishTenterden

In 1487 John Guldeford received a licence to 'crenellate the manors or tenements of Halden, Tenterden, Brockle and Hertrigge, in the parishes of Rolvenden, Tenderden, Crambroke and Ebney, co. Kent'. According to Hasted the Guldeford Family is associated with two of the many manors in Tenterden. These were 'Pitlesden, or Pittelesden, as it was antiently spelt, is situated near the west end of this town' and Kenchill. The first seems to be the main holding. PIttlesden Gatehouse, recorded in Pastscape as 'A four-bay medieval hall, very heavily modernised. Reputedly a gatehouse of the old manor house but there is no documentary evidence to prove this.' is roughly of the right date to be a building produced by this licence. This is a timber framed building, one of three gatehouses to a demolished C14 manor.

PITLESDEN, or Pittelesden, as it was antiently spelt, is situated near the west end of this town. It was once a seat of some note, being the residence of a family of that name, who bore for their arms, Sable, a fess, between three pelicans, or, in whose possession it continued till Stephen Pitlesden, (Philipott, p. 337. See Coll. Peer. vol. ii. p. 302) about the reign of Henry VI. leaving an only daughter and heir Julian, she carried it in marriage to Edward Guldeford, esq. of Halden. (Hasted)

Thought to be the only remaining gatehouse of 3 belonging to a demolished C14 mansion. A timber-framed cottage with plaster infilling, the west end over-hanging on the protruding ends of the floor joists and curved brackets. 2 storeys. Half hipped roof. 2 casement windows. The interior preserves its divisions of solar, hall and service. (Listed Building Report)

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceTQ882331
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Emery, Anthony, 2006, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 3 Southern England (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 440
  • Guildford, H.M., 1918, Guildford Genealogy (Minneapolis) p. 23 online copy
  • Hasted, Edward, 1798 (2edn), The history and topographical survey of the county of Kent Vol. 7 p. 200-219 online transcription


  • Philipott, Thomas (ed), 1776 (2edn), Villare Cantianum p. 337 online copy


  • Coulson, Charles, 2007-8, 'On Crenellating, in Kent and Beyond - A Retrospection' Castle Studies Group Journal Vol. 21 p. 189-201 esp p. 200

Primary Sources

  • Maxwell Lyte, H.C. (ed), 1914, Calendar of Patent Rolls Henry VII (1485-94) Vol. 1 p. 150-1 online copy


  • Kent County Council, December 2004, Kent Historic Towns Survey (Kent County Council and English Heritage) view online copy