Englissh in the town of Newenham
Has been described as a Possible Fortified Manor House
There are cropmark/slight earthwork remains
|Name||Englissh in the town of Newenham
|Alternative Names||Newnham Murren; English Farm
Richard English was granted licence to crenellate a chamber in his manor of 'Englissh in the town of Newenham' in 1356.
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||SU676859
No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
- Emery, Anthony, 2006, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 3 Southern England (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 211
- 1972, South Midlands Archaeology: CBA Group 9 Newsletter Vol. 2 p. 30 onine copy
- Maxwell Lyte, H.C. (ed), 1916, Calendar of Charter Rolls 15 Edward III - 5 Henry V 1341-1417 Vol. 5. (HMSO) p. 148 online copy
- VCH Oxfordshire • Texts in Progress • Nuffield: Religious Hist. (Nov. 2011) p. 7 online copy