Lyndhurst; The Queens House

Has been described as a Possible Palace (Royal)

There are earthwork remains

NameLyndhurst; The Queens House
Alternative Names
Historic CountryHampshire and the Isle of Wight
Modern AuthorityHampshire
1974 AuthorityHampshire
Civil ParishLyndhurst

In 1358 Edward III assumed control of the New Forest and immediately set about creating four hunting lodges, all of which were probably within the newly enclosed park (SU30NW6) he had created in 1354-5. These were the Park Lodge, Studley and Helmsley, and the most important at Hatheburgh. Each was of timber-frame and plaster construction, roofed with Purbeck and Cornish slates., and surrounded by a ditch. The Hatheburgh Lodge had a chapel, great gate and postern, and a long house containing the chambers and offices. Although the works were completed in 1361, a new hall and houses were built at Hatheburgh in 1365. (PastScape ref. HKW)

A park was attached to the manor of Lyndhurst from a very early date. In 1299 it covered an area of 500 acres, the profits from the honey gathered there amounting to 2s. per annum. In 1313 mention is made of 'the close of Queen Margaret at Lyndhurst.' Later in the century the Sheriff of Southampton was ordered to provide the necessary transport for the work of inclosing the king's park at Lyndhurst. In 1358 John de Beauchamp was charged to sell sufficient timber from the park of Lyndhurst to defray the expense of making four lodges and ridings in the forest. In 1387 and again in 1428 payments were made for the fencing and repairing of the palings of the king's park at Lyndhurst. (VCH)

Once royal hunting lodge, now Forestry Commission headquarters. Of medieval origin and Tudor, surviving building C17 of 2 builds, altered early and mid C19 restored twice C20. Brick on rubble plinth, old plain roof. 2 storey and attic, 5 bay part with end bay set-back on one side, on other end 2 bay crosswing set- back,one side projecting on other. Road front has plinth right across. Central part of 4 gabled bays, crosswing at LH

Central part has LH of centre 6-panel door and semicircular fanlight in doorcase of pilasters supporting broken pediment. To LH small double sash. In other bays and set-back bay to RH, large cross-window. 1st floor raised band. On 1st floor similar windows except to LH of centre taller 2-light window with decorated panel dated 1880 in upper part. Raised quoins between LH bays at each end and to RH bay. Over centre part plaster cornice and 4 small gables with casements on parapet wall. Stack at LH end and between RH bays. LH crosswing C20 Tudor style. Inside is Verderer's Court room C18 but much restored, rest of building very much restored. (Listed Building Report)

Gatehouse Comments

The manor of Lyndhurst is first recorded in royal hands during C10. More substantial records of manor and manor house exist from 1272 onwards. During the late C13 and C14 the manor was often the property of the Queen and was also linked with the administrative centre for the New Forest; a function it retains to the present. There are fragmentary remains of the medieval structure still incorporated in the present building, and documents refer to repairs to it throughout the Middle Ages. The bulk of the present building dates from C16 with large scale later additions.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSU297081
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Colvin, H.M., Ransome, D.R. and Summerson, John, 1982, The history of the King's Works, Vol. 4: 1485-1660 (part 2) (London) p. 161-2
  • Pevsner, N. and Lloyd, D., 1967, Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight (Harmondsworth) p. 327-8
  • Colvin, H.M., Brown, R.Allen and Taylor, A.J., 1963, The history of the King's Works Vol. 2: the Middle Ages (London: HMSO) p. 984-5
  • Page, Wm (ed), 1911, VCH Hampshire and the Isle of Wight Vol. 4 p. 630-3 online transcription


  • Wrey, E.C., 1960, 'A Note on the New Forest from the Archaeological Angle' Proceedings of the Hampshire Field Club and Archaeological Society Vol. 21 p. 156-9


  • Dave Hopkins, 2004, Extensive Urban Survey - Hampshire and the Isle of Wight (English Heritage) Download copy
  • A Plan of His Majesty's Forest, called the New Forest, in the County of Southampton. Laid down from surveys undertaken by Thos. Richardson, Wm. King and ABm. and Wm. Driver. By order of the Commissioners of the Land Revenue, appointed by Act of Parliament passed in the 26th year of King George IIId. Engraved and published by order of the said Commissioners, by William Faden, Geographer to the King, MDCCLXXXIX online copy