Hackney Manor

Has been described as a Possible Palace (Royal)

There are no visible remains

NameHackney Manor
Alternative NamesBrooke House
Historic CountryLondon and Middlesex
Modern AuthorityLondon Borough of Hackney
1974 AuthorityGreater London
Civil ParishHackney

Hackney's largest house was Brooke House, which stood on a site north west of the junction of Lea Bridge and Upper Clapton roads, now occupied by part of Hackney Community College. The earliest part of the house was probably built for William Worsley, Dean of St Paul's, who owned the estate from 1476 until 1496, when he sold it to Sir Reginald Bray. It passed to the Southwell family and was sold to Henry Algernon Percy, earl of Northumberland in 1531. In an exchange of lands with Henry VIII, the Hackney house passed to the King in January 1535. Occasionally used by Henry but no major building work. Given to William Herbert in 1547. Finally demolished in 1954. (National Archive's Learning Curve site)

Site of a brick courtyard house partly excavated by Grimes. Courtyard 1 built c 1476 by Worsley, Dean of St Pauls, possibly over an earlier structure? Courtyard 2 showed part of major rebuilding by Thomas Cromwell. Held by Henry VIII, traditionally the king's place at Hackney. Name from Grevilles, Lord Brookes who held it 1609-1820. Divided up in early 18th century. 1759 converted to mental asylum. Bombed 1940, demolished 1955. (Greater London HER)

Brooke House was formerly a possession of the Percys, and was acquired by Henry VIII in 1535. Soon after the accession of Edward VI the house was granted to Sir William Herbert, and in 1609 by Fulke Greville, afterwards Lord Brooke, from whom the house took its name. It was demolished in 1955. (PastScape ref. HKW)

Not scheduled

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceTQ347862
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Thurley, Simon, 1993, The Royal Palaces of Tudor England (Yale University Press) p. 49
  • Colvin, H.M., Ransome, D.R. and Summerson, John, 1982, The history of the King's Works, Vol. 4: 1485-1660 (part 2) (London) p. 124-5
  • Stevenson, B., 1972, Middlesex (Batsford) p. 144
  • Grimes, W.F., 1968, The Excavation of Roman and Mediaeval London ( London: Routledge & Kegan Paul) p. 239
  • Sheppard, F.H.W. (ed), 1960, 'Brooke House' Survey of London Vol. 28: Parish of Hackney Part 1 p. 57
  • Rose, M., 1951, The East End of London (London: The Cresset Press) p. 16, 109
  • RCHME, 1930, Inventory of Historic Monuments in London Vol. 5: East London p. 46-7 no. 3 online transcription
  • Robinson, Wm, 1842, The History and Antiquities of Hackney Vol. 1 p. 109
  • Lysons, Daniel, 1795, The Environs of London: Vol. 2: County of Middlesex online transcription