Fareham manor of the Bishop of Winchester
Has been described as a Possible Palace (Bishop)
There are no visible remains
|Name||Fareham manor of the Bishop of Winchester
|Alternative Names||Cheney Court
|Historic Country||Hampshire and the Isle of Wight
Listed by Thompson as a residential manor of the Bishop of Winchester. Emery writes "Thick stone wall incorporated in Roche Court a mile north of Fareham." and associates this house with the Bishop's manor. However, the VCH makes it clear that this was not Bishops manor, the actual location of which is lost but was in South Fareham; either near the church (at given map reference), or a lodge in the deer park (SU550072).
Fareham Park has existed from a very early date. In 1279, a complaint of park-breaking and deer-stealing occurs and in 1477 there is a record of payment for a hedge round the park. Held by the Bishop of Winchester, the park was leased in 1541 to Sir Thom Wriothesley and continued in that family. The timber appears to have been in great demand for ship-building, and this is mentioned in 1538 together with report of the shortage of stags due to poaching (VCH).
Bounds and 'lodge' shown and described (Minns).
The bounds of Fareham Park are on the south and south-east followed by modern roads, and on the west the R Meon formed a natural boundary. Traces of the park pale were observed during field investigation. The lodge mentioned in Minns has been replaced by a modern building (F1 DS 19-AUG-55).
(SU 5531 0770 - 5542 0745) The mutilated remains of the park pale are still visible extending for approx 270 metres in a SSE direction from the SE corner of Iron Mill Coppice. The pale consists of a mutilated tree-covered bank averaging 5.0m in width and 1.2m in height with no obvious ditch(es) (F2 AC 05-SEP-55).
Nothing which can be positively identified as remains of the park pale can be found (F4 JGB 01-FEB-83). (PastScape)
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||SU575066