Franciscan Friary of Carlisle

Has been described as a Questionable Fortified Ecclesiastical site

There are no visible remains

NameFranciscan Friary of Carlisle
Alternative NamesGreyfriars
Historic CountryCumberland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishCarlisle

Friary recorded in 1534 as being a store for military ordnance and as a lodging for Edward Balliol in 1332. On this basis Brooke includes the Friary in his list of 'Ecclesiastical establishments ...(with) indications of, defensible adaptation ...'

Gatehouse Comments

Conventual buildings were generally enclosed but this friary was within the city walls and it doesn't seem likely it was particularly strongly fortified, although as a store of weapons and as a building kept as a potential residence for the king it will have been secure, although by 1534 the building was no longer in ecclesiastical use.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

Not Listed

County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY402557
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Brooke, C.J., 2000, Safe Sanctuaries (Edinburgh; John Donald) p. 273
  • Knowles, David and Hadcock, R. Neville, 1971, Medieval religious houses in England and Wales (Longman)┬áp. 224
  • Wilson, James (ed), 1905, VCH Cumberland Vol. 2 p. 194 online copy


  • 10 July 2009, 'Greyfriars and Gunpoweder' The Cumberland News online copy
  • Jones, B.C., 1981, 'The Grey Friars, Carlisle' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 81 p. 160-2 online copy

Primary Sources

  • Gairdner, J. (ed), 1882, Letters and Papers, Foreign and Domestic, of the Reign of Henry VIII Vol. 7 p. 260 no. 676.iii online copy