Bamburgh Church of St Aidan

Has been described as a Questionable Fortified Ecclesiastical site

There are major building remains

NameBamburgh Church of St Aidan
Alternative Names
Historic CountryNorthumberland
Modern AuthorityNorthumberland
1974 AuthorityNorthumberland
Civil ParishBamburgh

A cell of Augustinian Canons was founded at Bamburgh around 1121. It survived until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1537. Apart from the church there are some possible remains of the monastic buildings built into some agricultural buildings beyond Bamburgh Hall. The church is still in use and although originally medieval was heavily restored in C19. (Keys to the Past)

The (church) tower may have been utilized as a refuge during the late medieval period. (Brooke)

Gatehouse Comments

No other source suggests the church was fortified and even Brooke's statement may simple be read as a suggestion an otherwise usual church was used as a place of refuge during raids, something that has happened at many places and at many times.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNU178349
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Kevin L and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons license.View full Sized Image

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Brooke, C.J., 2000, Safe Sanctuaries (Edinburgh; John Donald) p. 77-8
  • Bateson, Edward (ed), 1893, Northumberland County History (Newcastle-upon-Tyne) Vol. 1 p. 73-111 online copy