Sugwas Court

Has been described as a Possible Palace (Bishop)

There are no visible remains

NameSugwas Court
Alternative Names
Historic CountryHerefordshire
Modern AuthorityHerefordshire
1974 AuthorityHereford and Worcester
Civil ParishStretton Sugwas

Formerly a manor house of the Bishops of Hereford, entirely rebuilt in 1792. It is shown disused or demolished by Taylor in 1754. Incorporated in the stable are a number of worked stones, including a late C12 round headed doorways with a grooved and chafered label, other stones are incorporated in the cellar walls of the house. Set against the W end of the building, between the stable and house is a slab 6.25' long with a chafered under edge, said to have been the altar slab of the former chapel of St Thomas. The chapel was in ruins in 1754. (Herefordshire SMR)

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSO454408
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Emery, Anthony, 2000, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 2 East Anglia, Central England and Wales (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 513
  • Thompson, M.W., 1998, Medieval bishops' houses in England and Wales (Aldershot: Ashgate Publishing) p. 178
  • RCHME, 1932, An inventory of the historical monuments in Herefordshire Vol. 2: east p. 177 no. 5 online transcription
  • Cooke, William Henry, 1892, Collections towards the history and antiquities of the county of Herefordshire in continuation of Duncumb's History Vol. 4 Hundred of Grimsworth Part 2 p. 164


  • Chandler, John, 1993, John Leland's Itinerary: travels in Tudor England  (Sutton Publishing) p. 228
  • Toulmin-Smith, Lucy (ed), 1910, The itinerary of John Leland in or about the years 1535-1543 (London: Bell and Sons) Vol. 5 p. 184 online copy


  • Tonkin, J.W., 1976, 'The palaces of the bishop of Hereford' Transactions of the Woolhope Naturalists' Field Club Vol. 42.1 p. 53-64


  • Payne, Naomi, 2003, The medieval residences of the bishops of Bath and Wells, and Salisbury (PhD Thesis University of Bristol) Appendix B: List of Medieval Bishop's Palaces in England and Wales (available via EThOS)