Pyrgo Palace

Has been described as a Certain Palace (Royal)

There are no visible remains

NamePyrgo Palace
Alternative NamesPirgo Palace; Pergoe; Portegore
Historic CountryEssex
Modern AuthorityLondon Borough of Havering
1974 AuthorityGreater London
Civil ParishHavering

Site of Pyrgo Palace. Trial excavations in 1973 revealed walling foundations, along with a heavy scatter of C16 brick. The layout of the palace is unclear, although it included a chapel with burials which were translated before the chapel and wings were demolished circa 1778. The remainder of the house was demolished in 1814. (PastScape)

Documentary evidence shows that Sir Brian Tuke was allowed to create a park of 300 acres at Pyrgo in 1538. The house was described as "a house of brick covered with tile, cased with goodly windows of white glass and with conduits of water to every house of office". it had an inner court, a base court, 2 gardens and 2 yards surrounded by a brick wall. the bricks were made nearby, the great and little brick fields were numerated in documents of 1541. A map of 1618 shows a sizeable building with a number of gables. It was assessed as having 30 hearths in 1671. A chapel (06014401) was built as were large stables (06014402) and a bowling green was extant by 1785. The manor was taken over by Henry VIII in 1542 and the house was used as an annexe of Havering Palace (060141) the site was granted by Elizabeth I to the Grey family. The site was then variously sold and let until the end of the eighteenth century. The house was demolished in 1814 and a farm house erected on the site. this was demolished in 1851-2 and a new house (061283) built on its site. (Greater London HER)

In 1544 or '45, Henry purchased Pyrgo as a second residence and as an alternative to the ageing Havering but by the beginning of Elizabeth's reign it passed back into private hands, being given by her to Lord John Grey, uncle of the ill-fated Lady Jane Grey.

Not scheduled

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceTQ520939
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Marjorie Keniston McIntosh, 2002, A Community Transformed: The Manor and Liberty of Havering-atte-Bower 1500-1620 (Cambridge University Press)
  • Marjorie Keniston McIntosh, 2002, Autonomy and Community: The Royal Manor of Havering, 1200-1500 (Cambridge University Press)
  • Colvin, H.M., Ransome, D.R. and Summerson, John, 1982, The history of the King's Works, Vol. 4: 1485-1660 (part 2) (London) p. 151
  • Powell, W.R. (ed), 1979, VCH Essex Vol. 7 p. 9-17 online transcription
  • RCHME, 1921, An inventory of the historical monuments in Essex Vol. 2 (central and south-west) p. 126 no. 3 online transcription


  • Sellars, E. and Ryan, P.M., 1973, Excavations at Pyrgo Park, Havering atte Bower (LDPEM/AC/HA/042)