Marsh Court, Wincanton

Has been described as a Possible Fortified Manor House

There are cropmark/slight earthwork remains

NameMarsh Court, Wincanton
Alternative NamesMarsch; la Mersch by Wyncaulton
Historic CountrySomerset
Modern AuthoritySomerset
1974 AuthoritySomerset
Civil ParishWincanton

Site of court house, extant 1485; house AD 1661. Dunning writes house had chapel in C13, dovecot in C14 and suggests this was a substantial house. The complex seems to comprise a double moated enclosure. Marsh Court has one possible moat while the farm buildings to the E also are moated. It is the latter which survives today. The OS 25" map shows both moats in fragmentary states. The one around the main farm house is shown on the W side as a narrow ditch, still water filled which extends to the N and S making three sides. Today this is almost non-existant except for a slight bank around the S and W sides, the latter being disturbed by an access road. The other enclosure is also shown on the map and this survives as a substantial earthwork although infilled in some places. It is water filled on the S and E sides, the W side (making up the common side between both moats) is infilled with farm rubbish. The buildings in this enclosure are recent farm buildings with probably little damage caused to any deposits that may be underneath. A possible original causeway is still in use although there is no sign of any bridge structure. The course of the moat to the W can be seen as earthwork although now there is a wall blocking it off. The faint earthworks of a possible fishpond lie to the E of the site. (Derived from Dunning, PastScape and Somerset HER)

Richard Lovel had a house at Marsh in 1344 and a garden and dovecot were mentioned in 1351. The former 'goodly manor place' was a ruin in 1540 but there seems to have been a house there in 1569. Until the 1960s traces of a double moat were visible, the original house probably in a square enclosure which was set within a much larger site, the eastern end of which may have included a fishpond. The western part of the moat was destroyed between 1966 and 1976. (VCH 1999)

Gatehouse Comments

A grade 2 C17 house stands on the site of the medieval house. The moats around the house seem to have been fairly strong but there is nothing else to suggest this modest manor house was otherwise fortified.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceST740256
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Dunning, R.W., Currie, C.R.J. (eds), 1999, VCH Somerset Vol. 7 p. 208-232 online transcription
  • Dunning, Robert, 1995, Somerset Castles (Somerset Books) p. 55
  • Bothamley, 1911, in Page, Wm (ed), VCH Somerset Vol. 2 p. 140


  • Toulmin-Smith, Lucy (ed), 1910, The itinerary of John Leland in or about the years 1535-1543 (London: Bell and Sons) Vol. 5 p. 219 online copy


  • Aston, M. et al, 1976, 'Somerset Field Monument...survey' Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Vol. 120 p. 92
  • Meade, Canon, 1870, 'Castle Cary church' Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Vol. 16 p. 6

Primary Sources

  • Stamp, A.E.(ed), 1938, Calendar of Inquisitions Post Mortem Vol. 12 p. 70-1 view online copy
  • Landon, L. (ed), 1929, Somersetshire Pleas from the Rolls of the Itinerant Justices, 1280 (Somerset Record Society 44) p. 194-5