Has been described as a Rejected Fortified Manor House
There are no visible remains
Higham lists a record on map as 'site of castle' but with no evidence.
On the 1884 OS Map, scale 1:2500, the site of Haine Castle is marked at SX 4238886375.
It is likely that in his Devonshire Directory, White mistakenly identified the country house located nearby as Haine Castle. This house was built circa 1810 and according to its listed building description has the battlemented parapet White indicates. (PastScape)
Stowford, belongs to Mrs. Harris, together with Haine and Stone estates, which have been held by the Harris family many generations. She has a handsome seat here, called Haine Castle - a large quadrangular mansion, in the castellated style, erected 40 years ago. (Whites 1850)
A fortified house called Hayne Castle stood on a mound on the hill to the south of the present mansion until that was built on present site in 15th/16th century (Copeland). (Devon and Dartmoor HER)
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||SX424863