Sedbergh Hallgarth

Has been described as a Possible Fortified Manor House

There are no visible remains

NameSedbergh Hallgarth
Alternative NamesHall Garths
Historic CountryYorkshire
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishSedbergh

A 'rectangular elevation' at Hallgarth was levelled in 1890 exposing building foundations, a masonry-lined well, a coin of Henry VII, plain red earthen ware sherds, etc., The clay in the hollow in front of the elevation suggested a moat. A bulldozer levelling in Hall Garth in 1957, cracked the covering slab of a well containing late Medieval pottery. C14 jug base and other Medieval potsherds were among surface finds elsewhere in the field. Hall Garth has been levelled and is now used as a playing field. All trace of the former building platform has been destroyed but the recorded finds from the site are displayed in the Sedbergh School Museum. A pecked outline of a rectangular ditch shown on the OS 6" map of 1854 at SD 65999143, suggests the site of a moat. (SMR record)

The so-called manor house may be the invention of the Reverend William Thompson, a 19th century antiquary. Reference in several Compoti Rolls from 1372-1457 to a stonehouse at Millthrop might even be the Hall Garth. (PastScape ref. Perriam and Robinson)

A field known as Hallgarth, about half a mile south of Sedbergh, formerly contained a rectangular earthwork platform. This is shown on the 1st edition OS of 1852 as being about 200ft by 180ft. During the removal of the platform in 1890, foundations and corner stones were uncovered indicating a large building, possibley with an associated moat. A well was also uncovered along with finds of several coins. A watching brief undertaken in 1956 during further levelling works revealed additional medieval sherds (Addyman 1966). The name Hallgarth suggests that the moated earthwork was perhaps the hall of the lords or sub-tenants of the Sedbergh manor. Hallgarth may have been replaced in the 16th century by Ingmire Hall, to the west of Sedbergh, or by Thorns Hall, both of which were in occupation in the 17th century (Addyman 1966)

Gatehouse Comments

Despite the recorded destruction of the site the area is still open and a geophysical survey might yet provide information.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSD659914
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 394
  • Thompson, W., 1910, Sedbergh, Garsdale, and Dent: peeps at the past history and present condition of some picturesque Yorkshire dales p. 21-2 online copy


  • Sedbergh Historian Vol. 1.4
  • Sedbergh Historian Vol. 1.3
  • Addyman, P.V., Simpson, W.G., and Spring, P.W.H., 1966, 'Two Medieval Sites near Sedbergh, West Riding' Yorkshire Archaeological Journal Vol. 41 p. 39-42
  • Wilson, D.M. and Hurst, J.G., 1958, 'Medieval Britain in 1957' Medieval Archaeology Vol. 2 p. 208 download copy


  • English Heritage, 2006, Extensive Urban Survey - Cumbria (Cumbria County Council) Download copy