Has been described as a Certain Timber Castle (Motte), and also as a Certain Masonry Castle, and also as a Certain Palace (Royal)
There are earthwork remains
|Alternative Names||Merleberge; Malmesberiae; Marlbergie; The Mount
Large mound, possibly a motte and bailey within the grounds of Marlborough College. The first documentary evidence for the existence of a castle is during the reign of King Stephen, who held it in 1139 from the Empress Matilda. It is possible that it existed earlier. Repairs and construction of a ring wall around the motte are recorded for 1209-11. Further building occurred during the reign of Henry II, including a Great Tower. The castle was in ruins by 1403. Parts of the keep and curtain wall have been identified by excavation and a Roman coin recovered. A chapel was allegedly situated within the bailey. The mound was incorporated into a garden layout during the late C17/early C18, with the construction of a summerhouse on the top and a grotto at the base. There has been considerable speculation that the mound has origins in the later Neolithic, by analogy with Silbury Hill particularly since the discovery in 1912 of several red deer antler fragments within the mound, and the collection of some struck flints from the ground surface to the south and south west in the early 1920s. At present, the extant evidence is rather limited however a late Neolithic origin for the mound cannot be completely ruled out, and the Marlborough place-name (barrow of Maerla) does suggest the mound may be based on a barrow or, at least, a pre-saxon earthwork mound. From 1273-1369 it was in possession of the queen as a dower house. (PastScape)
The wooden castle was built by William the conqueror as his invasion force came to the West Country in 1086. It later became to be strengthened by Roger, bishop of Salisbury in 1100 and was later rebuilt in stone
The history of the structure of the castle is interesting and the details of its strengthening and rebuilding throughout the centuries show us that the castle was highly valued by both monarchs and their officials and powerful locals.
Important individuals feature in the castles history the first being Agelric who was the bishop of the South Saxons. He was held hostage in the castle in 1070 after William came to successfully conquer the West Country in 1068. The royal history of the castle does not finish here as the castle became a royal residence and the royal court often visited. Savernake forest and the neighbouring wood of Aldbourne chase were favourite royal hunting grounds. Notable figures linked to the castle are as follows. John of Gaunt, son of Edward III had a hunting lodge in the middle of the chase. Henry I spent Easter there in 1110. Henry III was married there and in 1245 his mother died there. On his death the castle became part of the dowry of his widow, Queen Eleanor and on her death was conferred by Edward I on his own Queen. Edward II bestowed it on his favourite Hugh Le Despencer in 1308; on his fall his wife Queen Isabel obtained it. In the reign of Edward III the castle was held by various wardens for the King's sister. Richard II granted it to Sir William Scrope – on his execution in 1399 it reverted back to the crown.
The castle was allowed to fall into ruin after the Wars of the Roses. The wise policy of Henry VII strengthened the crown so great castles were no longer needed to keep the peace. Old feudal fortresses became valueless, as explosives were now in use and castles were defenceless against gunpowder. Edward VI, last royal owner of the castle, passed it on to the Seymour family as this was his mother's line. Today the site of the castle belongs to Marlborough College. (VCH Explore)
1256. To Stephen Fromund, constable of the castle of Merleberge. Contrabreve to repair where absolutely necessary the wall of the castle of Merleberge, which has fallen down in three places. (Cal. Lib. Rolls)
This site is a scheduled monument protected by law
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||SU183686