Has been described as a Possible Fortified Manor House
There are masonry ruins/remnants remains
|Modern Authority||Telford and Wrekin
The medieval manor house of Orleton stood within a square moat; the moat remained complete in 1728. In 1983 the surviving north-east arm of the moat was crossed by a possibly medieval stone bridge of two arches, which may have been contemporary with the stone foundations of the adjoining gatehouse. The later C16 superstructure of the gatehouse was timber framed and the upper floor jettied on all sides; a datestone of 1588 in a chimney stack may relate to that rebuilding. Later alterations included the installation of chimney stacks, the underpinning of the jetties with brick, and the removal of the original ground-floor outer walls. (VCH 1985)
Orleton was the home of the Cludde family, the original house being built by Edward Cludde in 1588: it was situated within a square moat with drawbridge and gatehouse, the drawbridge being replaced by a stone bridge more than a century ago.
The existing house dates from the latter half of the 18th century.
The gatehouse is an Elizabethan structure, built in 1588 and restored in 1766, these dates being recorded by inscribed stones on the chimneys.
Much of the moat still remains (PastScape ref. Forrest 1921-3)
This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law
Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||SJ635113