Has been described as a Possible Fortified Manor House

There are no visible remains

Alternative NamesChebeseye
Historic CountryStaffordshire
Modern AuthorityStaffordshire
1974 AuthorityStaffordshire
Civil ParishChebsey

Destroyed house for which John, Lord Hastings was granted a licence to crenellate in 1309.

Gatehouse Comments

Given map reference is for parish church of Chebsey but there is no suggestion for the actual location of this house. The house, if built, needed not have been moated but it would be highly unusual for it not to have been in this location. The Sow valley has been much altered by drainage, mill leats and agriculture.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

Not Listed

County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSJ859285
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Emery, Anthony, 2000, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 2 East Anglia, Central England and Wales (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 468
  • Turner, T.H. and Parker, J.H., 1859, Some account of Domestic Architecture in England (Oxford) Vol. 3 Part 2 p. 406 online copy


Primary Sources

  • Maxwell Lyte, H.C. (ed), 1894, Calendar of Patent Rolls Edward II (1307-13) Vol. 1 p. 178 online copy