Huntley Castle, Cheadle

Has been described as a Questionable Timber Castle (Motte)

There are uncertain remains

NameHuntley Castle, Cheadle
Alternative NamesCastle Croft
Historic CountryStaffordshire
Modern AuthorityStaffordshire
1974 AuthorityStaffordshire
Civil ParishCheadle

The earthwork in the grounds of Huntley Hall, although not mentioned by Plot is shewn as an 'ancient fortification' on a map dated 1682, which is bound up with Plot's 'History' (Bridgeman 1926).

The field adjoining it is shewn as 'Castle Croft' - by which name it was still known in the 1860's. The site of this mound is well-known to Mr Plant but has for many years been used for dumping gravel and waste materials from the nearby quarries with the result that the mound is completely buried beneath the dump. Mr Plant stated that there had been a brick-culvert built into one side of the mound before its burial. Older residents in the district maintained that the mound was a large spoil-heap from the cutting of the road through the natural rock in the area centred at SK 0070 4085 but this seems hardly probable if the mound was shown by Plot. Enquiry at the offices of the gravel company established that it is not their intention to remove any of the dumped material within the forseeable future. No identifiable trace of the mound is visible - the field-name Castle-croft would indicate that it was a motte (F1 WW 28-JAN-57). (PastScape)

A flat topped, earthwork mound once identified as a medieval motte, but now thought to be of possible natural origin. (Staffordshire HER)

Natural sand flat topped circular mound, formerly described and scheduled as a medieval motte. Two sections cleaned and no archaeological features. Descheduled (Verbal communication: R.A. Meeson (Staffordshire County Council). 1980 - 2000. Comments on sites in Staffordshire by R.A. Meeson. 1984).

Not listed by Cantor as a castle.

The earthwork is not mentioned by Robert Plot (1686), but 'an ancient fortification' is shown on the map which is bound up with Plot's 'History of Staffordshire'

The field adjoining the mound is shown as 'Castle Croft', by which name it was still known in the 1860s

The North Staffordshire Field Club visited the site in 1915 (when the earthwork had been newly discovered). The mound stood at the highest point of the Huntley Hall estate. No stones had been found on the site and thus it was proposed that it was a Norman motte upon which had stood a timber building (Huntbach 1915-16).

Site visit by the Ordnance Survey Inspector in 1957. The site of the mound was well known to the farmer, but had been used as a dumping ground for gravel and waste materials from the nearby quarries with the result that the mound is completely buried beneath the dump. The farmer also stated that a brick culvert had been built into one side of the mound before its burial. No identifiable traces of the mound is visible, although the placename Castle Croft may indicate a motte (FI William Woodhouse 28/11/1957). (Staffordshire HER)

Gatehouse Comments

Appears to have been reassessed as natural and then descheduled.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSK006413
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Salter, Mike, 1997, Castles and Moated Mansions of Staffordshire (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 21
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 2 p. 452


  • Plot, Robert, 1686, The Natural History of Staffordshire


  • Cantor, Leonard, 1966, 'The Medieval Castles of Staffordshire' North Staffordshire Journal of Field Studies Vol. 6 p. 38-46
  • Bridgeman, 1926, William Salt Archaeological Society Vol. 50 p. 153-65 (of no great value)
  • Huntbach, A., 1915-16, Transactions of the North Staffordshire Field Club Vol. 50 p. 158-9