Stapleton Moat Farm

Has been described as a Possible Fortified Manor House

There are earthwork remains

NameStapleton Moat Farm
Alternative Names
Historic CountryShropshire
Modern AuthorityShropshire
1974 AuthorityShropshire
Civil ParishCondover

Moat Farm moated site is a well-preserved example of this class of monument, encompassing the remains of a late medieval residence and its associated revetment wall. This wall is the finest and best preserved of its type in Shropshire. In addition to these structures, the moated island will retain structural and artefactual evidence of other contemporary and earlier buildings. The remains of all these structures, together with the artefacts and organic remains existing in the moat, will provide valuable evidence about the occupation and social status of the inhabitants. Organic remains surviving in the buried ground surface under the raised island and within the moat will also provide information about the changes to the local environment and the use of the land before and after the moated site was constructed. The importance of the site is further enhanced by medieval and post-medieval documentary sources which provide ownership information.

The monument includes the earthwork, standing structural and buried remains of a medieval moated site. It is considered to be the manor of the Stapleton family, and passed to Edward Leighton in 1455. The Leightons held the manor until the 17th century when it was apparently sold to Lord Keeper Egerton and became a farm. The moated site is situated on level ground in an area of gently undulating land. The moat, which has been largely infilled, defines a rectangular island, 36m south west - north east by 42m north west - south east. Access onto the island is via a causeway that crosses the north western arm at its mid point. Material excavated from the moat was used to raise the surface of the island by about 2.5m above the level of the surrounding land. The sides of the island have been strenghtened by the construction of a revetment wall of dressed sandstone blocks. Considered to date to the 14th or 15th century, this wall stands up to 2.5m high, and has been repaired in several places with uncoursed rubble and brick

It is Listed Grade II and included in the scheduling. The timber-framed house in the south west corner of the island was also constructed in the 14th or 15th century and later remodelled in the 17th century. Its external walls sit on a sandstone block foundation, the lower courses of which are angled outwards, and define the edges of the island at this point. This building is a separate construction to the revetment wall which it abuts, although both structures would appear to have been built at the same time. The house is a Listed Building Grade II* and is not included in the scheduling. On the north west side of island, adjoining the house, and aligned with the entrance causeway, a timber-framed two-storeyed jettied gatehouse was constructed. The remains of this structure were demolished in about 1950. Opposite the house, on the northern part of the island, is an outbuilding of 17th century date, possibly incorporating some medieval stonework. It is a Listed Building Grade II. The earliest large scale Ordnance Survey map (published in 1882) indicates that much of the moat was infilled prior to that date, and the only arm to contain water was on the north eastern side. This arm, together with the south eastern arm is still waterlogged. The early Ordnance Survey map also shows that the arms of the moat were between 10m and 12m wide. The infilled arms of the moat survive as buried features and are included in the scheduling. (Scheduling Report)

Farmhouse. C14 or C15, re-modelled C17 with considerable later additions and alterations. Render and painted brick concealing timber frame on chamfered sandstone plinth, 7 courses high; slate roofs. House, probably originally fortified, now consists of hall range with cross-wing projecting to north-east; this formerly had a timber framed gatehouse attached to front, demolished c.1950. 2 storeys with cellar on south; north side: irregular fenestration, late C19 casements, 3 directly below eaves, left blocked and 2 on ground floor with segmental heads to left and right, left blocked, one on each floor to left side of cross-wing; roughly central entrance to hall range with plank door probably C17 under late C19 gabled porch (another entrance through C20 lean-to porch in angle beteeen hall and cross- wing); red brick ridge stack immediately above central entrance to hall with axial red brick ridge stack to right at junction between hall and cross-wing. Mid-C20 extension to front of cross-wing (partly on site of gatehouse) rests on original sandstone plinth. Salop Fire Insurance plate over central entrance to hall range numbered 2138. Interior: room to left of hall stack has a richly moulded cross-beam ceiling with a carved Tudor rose boss to centre, C17 oak panelling to right-hand wall with elaborately carved round-arched overmantel above C20 brick fireplace; room to right has 2 chamfered cross beams with heavy joists. (Listed Building Report)

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSJ457035
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Salter, Mike, 2001 (2edn), The Castles and Moated Mansions of Shropshire (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 75
  • Emery, Anthony, 2000, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 2 East Anglia, Central England and Wales (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 479
  • Gaydon, A.T. (ed), 1968, VCH Shropshire Vol. 8 p. 163
  • Pevsner, N., 1958, Buildings of England: Shropshire (London, Penguin) p. 293
  • Wall (after Downham), 1908, in Page, Wm (ed), VCH Shropshire Vol. 1 p. 405


  • 1980, Moated Sites Research Group report Vol. 7 p. 50
  • Oakley, R., 1937-8, Transactions of the Shropshire Archaeological and Historical Society Vol. 49 p. 43-8


  • English Heritage, 2011, Heritage at Risk Register 2011 West Midlands (London: English Heritage) p. 33 online copy
  • English Heritage, 2010, Heritage at Risk Register 2010 West Midlands (London: English Heritage) p. 33 online copy
  • English Heritage, 2009, Heritage at Risk Register 2009 West Midlands (London: English Heritage) p. 43 online copy