Has been described as a Possible Timber Castle (Motte)
There are earthwork remains
|Alternative Names||Domen; Pontfadoc; Pont Fadoc
SJ 29312114 A roughly circular motte, 26.0m. in diameter and now 1.0m. high is situated in marshy ground near a stream crossing. Traces of a shallow ditch are visible on the NE side of the mound, but there is no evidence of a bailey. A roughly dressed triangular stone near the centre of the motte is probably a modern memorial stone (F1 MHB 04-JAN-72).
This location falls within the area mapped from aerial photographs by RCHME's Marches Uplands Mapping Project, but the mound was not recorded by that survey.
Assessed for scheduling, which has been rejected. As described above, although it may also have been a little higher and may have supported a watch-tower. There is evidence of a buried ditch 5m wide around the motte. Normal planning controls should apply (Reid 1999). (PastScape)
Marked as DOMEN on OS 6in map of 1902. A roughly circular motte, 26m in diameter and now 1m high is situated in marshy ground near a stream crossing. Traces of a shallow ditch are visible on the NE side of the mound, but there is no evidence of a bailey. A roughly dressed triangular stone near the centre of the motte is probably a modern memorial stone (OS FI 1972)
Recorded by the Ordnance Survey as a motte, this mound is situated close to a long-established crossing point across the River Morda, which it would appear to have once controlled. It is about 5km south west of the motte and bailey castle at Knockin, with which it may have been associated, and lies within the grounds of Pentre-uchaf Hall, a country house built in 1740. The mound measures apx 26m by 30m and stands up to 0.8m high. It would have originally stood much taller and would appear to have served as a base for a watch tower. It was probably reduced in height during the 18th century at the time when the parkland surrounding Pentre-uchaf Hall was established
Although no longer visible at ground level, a ditch from which the material was quarried during the construction of the monument, surrounds the mound. This has become infilled over the years but will survive as a buried feature, apx 5m wide (Reid 1999). (Shropshire HER)
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||SJ293211