Acton Scott Tower
Has been described as a Questionable Pele Tower
There are no visible remains
|Name||Acton Scott Tower
|Civil Parish||Acton Scott
A castle or tower is referred to in 1587 and 1631. Its location is not certain, and probably centred on Castle Hill at SO446897. The OSRC location, SO45378950, depend on name tower yard. Comments by I Burrow, 1976 Possibly the predecessor to the present hall (OS Record Card).
The possible ground plan of this building is shown in Mrs Stackhouse Acton's MS of the Acton Scott Villa. This shows a roughly square structure, c 17ft on a side internally, with projections at two opposite corners, the whole forming a type of Z plan. There is a brick lined fireplace set in one wall, with a projecting stack, and a second brick fireplace in the centre of the floor. One possible doorway is shown. (Shropshire SMR report)
Watch Tower or House (temp. Henry III) (site of).
Site of an ancient watchtower in the Tower Yard enclosure (Rev ONB 1901 7).
Possibly the site of a house of temp. Henry III, predecessor of Acton Scott Hall. (The name "Castlehill Wood" at SO 445897 may be significant) (Forrest).
No visible remains of a building within Tower Yard, which is a pasture field (F1 ASP 09-JAN-73).
SO 453895. Site of tower listed by Hogg and King "Acton Scott (?)". Shown on map of 'fortifications other than castles', mostly 15th century (Hogg and King).
The possible ground plan of this building is shown in Mrs. Stackhouse Acton's Ms on the Acton Scott villa. This shows a roughly square structure about seventeen feet on a side internally, with two projections at opposite corners forming a type of Z-plan. There is a brick-lined fireplace set in one wall with a projecting stack, and a second brick fireplace in the centre of the floor. One possible doorway is shown (Salop SMR). (PastScape)
The field called the Tower Yard is just north of the church. The Tower was apparently occupied in the mid 17th century by the Baldwins but later abandoned, and its ruins were quarried in 1790. It was a stone building c. 17 ft
square internally with projections, one of them a fireplace, on three sides. Its walls were c. 3 ft. thick. Presumably it was either the chamber end of a disappeared hall or, less probably, a tower house. Parallels, especially in Shropshire, are hard to find. (VCH)
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||SO453895